Author Topic: Spining tapered shafts  (Read 5234 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: Spining tapered shafts
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 02:22:24 pm »
I should add that I have trouble measuring spine on a fletched arrow, because the feather gets in the way of my hooks, and props one end of the arrow up.  when the weight is added, it pulls the shaft down onto the support--but this means it is impossible to zero out the scale before adding the weight, giving an inconsistent result.  I do all spine testing and bare shaft shooting prior to the finish work.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 02:42:29 pm »
I've posted this before but I made this spine tester out of stuff I had laying around. Total cost--nothing. There is no reason that anyone couldn't build one. The chart and gauge background I got off the internet. I've calibrated it a couple of ways to test it's accuracy and it's right on.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 11:28:30 pm »
Jeff,
Your rig sounds very similar to mine.  I zero the caliper for every measurement as well, and my weight is 2.004 lbs,( maybe an extra zero there).  On new arrows, I do all the spine testing before finishing, too.  My finished arrows are about 35 years old, but I think the spine is no where near matched.  They seem to shoot well off my Bear Kodiak Magnum 50#, and my 46# self bow that I got from Badger.  I am sort them into sets of 6  with about a 20 gr spread.  Just too lazy to rework the whole bunch, but it would probably be good training >:D.   Thanks for the information.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 08:02:03 am »
Hawk, I bet that is more than close enough, especially if you are a good shooter.  I think it takes some serious OCD to get any more precise in matching both weight and spine at the same time, unless you can sort hundreds of shafts at the same time.  The more arrows you want in the same set, the harder it gets, at least for me. 

Others with more experience can chime in on how much tolerance is acceptable, but it seems like it is different for each person.  I have spent the last 30 years building rc airplanes, so I have gotten used to really tight tolerances. Plus, I am a perfectionist by nature. It is my burden to bear. . .

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 07:15:21 pm »
Hi Jeff, we find ourselves in the same boat, with an obsessive desire to get as close to the line as we can.
i agree, it takes sorting many many shafts, to start to get matched dozens.
i do feel that spine is more important than weight. many folks will say, that the average shooter , out to 20 yards wont notice the difference in weight spread over 50 grains.
we sort in 5# spine and 10gr groups, but simply because thats the industry standard.
for my own shooting, i am more than happy to have my shafts over a 20 or 30 gr spread- but all be within a pound or two of spine.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 10:24:20 pm »
Yup.  Sometimes I think my motto is "perfect is good enough"  I find making arrows can really scratch that perfectionist itch.  there is a youtube video of a korean master making bamboo arrows.  He turns it into an almost ritualistic process.  You can really meditate when you straighten and sand arrow shafts to perfection.  I find it therapeutic.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 09:16:35 am »
I feel the same, spine is much more important to me than weight with in reason. I want the spine as dead on as possible and the weight 20/30 grain or so is fine. Rather have it with in 10 but can live with a little more. Nice info here, and yes Jeff making well matched arrows is therapeutic for me also. ;) I shoot bad enough as it is so I want to be sure it is me and not the bow or arrows I am shooting. Time can sure slip away doing it. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 03:04:06 pm »
Somewhere toward the end of that korean arrow video, the guy says anyone can make a single arrow, the real challenge is to create a set that all have the same properties and shoot the same.  I think it is a fun challenge and a rewarding one.  I really like shoots and bamboo for shafts.  I haven't tried an arrow from a split or from lumber yet.