Author Topic: Fade crack fix of old favorite  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Fade crack fix of old favorite
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 08:31:57 pm »
  I just finished one with a crack in exactly the same place, I love the bow and it just makes me sick. So far the crack hasn't shown any signs of moving or opening up and I have about 100 arrows through it. I decided to wrap it with silk and finish the bow. You did an excellent job on that one.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 09:47:58 pm »
Thanks....As much as I like the result I really think there's been more impressive fixes shown on here.There's a whole bunch of problem solvers on the PA.

Spoken like a true gentleman.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 11:59:25 pm »
Clint...Good point and I know your right.Slow and gradual reduction of everything on these bows is life that's for sure.
Steve...I debated quite a while about how to fix it.Could'nt seem to get over it.Got advice from a bow maker here I really respect too but his option was mostly very strong braided fishing line with epoxy which might have worked too.When I retillered poundage off I did'nt scrape quite so much near the fades either on this one.Guess there were other more drastic options of a complete overall too but did'nt really want to do that.Then I remembered a BL bow I made that the bottom half of the handle grip just plain popped off while tillering the last stages around 26" if I recall.Fixed that generally the same way as this one with a little rawhide added too yet.It's still shooting good but not near the stressful design as this one.That one I concluded with help from members here that my fades were just too short and it worked too far into the fades.
Handles and fades are something I don't seem to experiment changing much with.I think because I get used to something working right as far as comfort and accuracy that when I did change the bow shot different and I'm reluctant to change it much now.Hard to describe.The change causes different arrow pass placement and pressure points I figure.Making some bendy handle bows might give me a better perspective.
Jeff....After 45 years of adult hood and 2 divorces you'd think a person should learn to listen and think before speaking I guess.....lol.That's if they want to get along more peaceful with less turmoil.Sometimes it's not the last person who speaks that is right.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 04:46:25 am »
I remember when you had that problem developed in that bow Ed. I remember you saying you were just going to retire it. Man sure glad you got it fixed it really is a sweet bow. Great job from start to fix and finish. Good Luck with the hunting. Opening Day gun season here today still can't decide what to take to the woods. It would be my bow if it wasn't supposed to rain all day. Anyway great save on a fantastic bow and best of luck hunting.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 08:47:07 pm »
It's all been said. Thanks for sharing, Mr Ed.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857