Author Topic: Veteran's day bow for a veteran  (Read 4494 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: Veteran's day bow for a veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 10:10:35 pm »
Thank you all for the comments.  In the end, I don't think this is a bad bow wood--just the first couple of staves I tried were diseased, which may have tainted my opinion.  On those the wood felt almost spongy.  with this stave the wood is really sound, and has a nice  musical ring to it when you knock on it.  the wood itself is really hard, and hard to carve.  This process has taught me more about bow making than the easier staves (osage). I suspect when I do my next osage bow, it is going to feel almost too easy.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 11:04:20 pm »
I finally managed to give my friend his bow.  He has been out hunting in Wyoming for the last couple weeks. He really liked it, but I think his wife was even more impressed.  She wanted some of my "cards" so she could get the word out.  She seemed surprised that I don't sell them, but just build bows for fun.  My friend took some shots with the arrows I made to go with the bow, and had them grouping right away.  This was a fun project.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 11:20:35 am »
👍👍
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 01:25:08 pm »
Great story! I love the stories that go with the bows, that makes those bows way more special! And six tries, that is serious determination. :BB Great work!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 06:05:38 am »
Beautiful bow, looks like he know how to shoot it also. Great story.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good