Author Topic: Canadian Museum of History  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Canadian Museum of History
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:17:54 am »
The last time I was there I was a bit disappointed they didn't has as many bows on display as they used to, I was there many years ago and they several.  Fortunately I took some pictures.

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Parnell

Re: Canadian Museum of History
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:52:45 am »
Good stuff, Marc.
1’—>1’

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:54:52 am »
That's cool.. Thanks for sharing
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:15:09 am »
Cool stuff, Marc. Thanks for posting these.
 I was at the Museum of the American Indian a few years ago in Washington, DC. I was disappointed how few bows and arrows they had on display. I know they have hundreds but I bet there weren't a dozen on display. They did have a full wall display case of firearms that had been used against the Natives over the years. I thought that was strange.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 12:32:29 pm »
Thanks for sharing Marc. I'm guessing they had a fair amount of fish in their diet looking at those points. Are they made from Antler, Horn? Just love that kinda stuff.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Strelets

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 12:40:52 pm »
Pat, almost every museum has very much more in store than they show. The Museum of London has more than 300 medieval arrowheads in its collection, but fewer than half a dozen on display.  They give more space to neolithic and mesolithic flint arrowheads. These include five flint arrowheads found with the bones of an aurochs (the wild ancestor of modern cattle, but about twice the weight). There were butchery marks on the bones, showing that the aurochs didn't get away.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 02:04:29 pm »
Yeah Strelets, Billy Berger did an article for PA a few years ago after spending a few days in the Smithsonian in DC going through and measuring bows that weren't on display but in the archives. They have many but only exhibit a few.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 08:47:48 pm »
Hey Marc, the bow second pic from the bottom that is the second one from the right... is it reverse braced? Looks like an unbraced bow with slightly recurved tips that someone strung backwards to make it look more like a bow.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:17:27 pm »
Neat stuff!  Space is always a problem, as is restoration and preservation, for museums!  Not to mention security!  I noticed that bow did not look right, too.  May post my museum story "Around the Campfire".  Should be more access to the archives and storage areas, imho!.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 07:27:00 am »
I couldn't tell you about any of these bows since I took the pictures about 10 years ago and nearly all are no longer on display.  I know that bow does look wrong the way it is

I think some of the points are bone but others are just carved into the wood

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 10:07:49 am »
I can always appreciate when people post pictures like these. I have yet to find a meseum near me that has a any native bows on display. Thank you Marc for postig these.
Eric

Offline Traxx

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 12:36:25 pm »
upstatenybowyer,,,,

It does appear that way,,but unless my eyes are deceiving me,,it appears to have sinew on the bow on the side away from the string...That would make it a sinew backed reflexed tip bow...Some Early people did make that style bow...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 04:01:57 pm »
It does appear that way,,but unless my eyes are deceiving me,,it appears to have sinew on the bow on the side away from the string...That would make it a sinew backed reflexed tip bow...Some Early people did make that style bow...

It does appear to have sinew on that bow but there are some discrepancies.  First the side that appears to have the sinew is rounded especially around the center of the bow.  This would suggest that this is the belly since most would round this area out.  Second the side that where the string lies seems to have square edges.  I really don't think any bowyer worth his salt would make a bow with the belly square and the back round like that but you never know.  It is possible that what looks like sinew may just be a patina on the wood

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 07:12:13 pm »
Very cool pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 11:17:35 am »
Marc,

In the first pic bottom left, is that a club?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.