Author Topic: String length  (Read 4142 times)

Offline DC

String length
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:04:22 pm »
On an average length string say 60-64" how much do you think you can vary the length by twisting or untwisting?

Offline PatM

Re: String length
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:07:11 pm »
How much can you or how much should you?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:40:12 pm »
How much can you or how much should you?

How much should you? I figure when the twisting results in the string starting to bunch up it's too much.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:53:37 pm »
Just enough twists to hold the loops from slipping is ideal. Beyond that you start turning the string into a spring.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:34:18 pm »
I think minimal twists are best for longevity.my fastflite strings stretch about 1" after broken in.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:03:01 pm »
I'm wondering how close to the proper length you have to be when you make the string.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 12:04:44 am »
Not sure if it’s just me being lazy but wouldn’t it just be easier to make 1 loop then tie a knot on the other end? In my little experience, keep the twist between 30 to 60 degrees.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 02:01:05 am »
If you are making continuous loop strings it is simple to get them perfect length.
Make an extra long "trial" string, adjust it's length by threading it round and round through a loop of metal (an old bearing will do) this will give coarse adjustment, use twist to give fine adjustment to get the correct brace height. Use this trial string to set your jig for the correct length.
Use a good quality low stretch material (I use Astro flite, base on cost/performance)
The one in the pic is a bit of Ali' that I turned on the lathe, but any metal ring will do.
This also makes a very handy adjustable "long string" for tillering.
Del
PS. Don't shoot using that string, the metal ring will dent the belly of the bow (so a friend tells me ;) ::) )
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:18:08 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 07:16:53 am »
Good idea Del especially when trying to use a bowyers knot when making a heavy bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 08:19:08 am »
Good idea Del especially when trying to use a bowyers knot when making a heavy bow
I should christen it Del's ring of confidence .... remember that ad?  ;D
Del

Offline FilipT

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 08:26:26 am »
Anyone know why is flemish string stretching? I made my first yesterday, from Spectra fishing braid and despite labeled as no creep and stretch, 70# breaking strength, it stretches when I tiller my current heavy bow.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 10:07:43 am »
Very nifty Del.I like it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 10:26:56 am »
Anyone know why is flemish string stretching? I made my first yesterday, from Spectra fishing braid and despite labeled as no creep and stretch, 70# breaking strength, it stretches when I tiller my current heavy bow.
I'd guess the clue is in the name, it's fishing braid not a bow string material.
I try to use the same material all the time, that way I'll get consistent repeatable results when making strings to length.
Mind all strings stretch a bit, but with heavy bows you need decent material else it becomes almost impossible to brace them.
Del

Offline FilipT

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 10:40:54 am »
This spectra power pro fishing braid has been marketed as near zero stretch and creep. It shouldn't stretch at all.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 11:07:49 am »
I use a timber hitch on the bottom,, and try not to twist the string that much,, sometimes I have to put super glue on the timber hitch to keep it from slipping,,