Author Topic: Marten fur silencers?  (Read 3566 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Marten fur silencers?
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:27:17 pm »
Has anyone used Marten fur for string silencers?  I found a Marten fur coat that would make a lot of silencers.  I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: Marten fur silencers?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:49:15 pm »
buy it to wear at the classic

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:15:37 pm »
buy it to wear at the classic

Might be a little warm for that.  Plus I'd need to find a big purple hat with a long feather to go with the jacket

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:43:29 pm »
Now that's funny Clint! I bought a mink Stoll at goodwill a while back to use for the same thing, it took some good sopping with scent killer and letting it set in a Ziploc bag with dirt scent waffers and cedar shavings to get rid of the 60 year old perfume smell.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 08:18:47 am »
No reason it wont work. I have used fox, rabbit, squirrel, beaver, otter, skunk and mink.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:32:53 am »
Should work just fine Clint.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:36:55 am »
Pearly, what no muskrat. Clint, I bet marten will work just fine, you be in the high dollar furs :o :o ;D Bob

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 08:49:36 am »
I didn't get it.  The bids went a little higher than I felt was reasonable for string silencers.  As a fur coat it was probably a great deal.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 08:57:40 am »
Good call Bob, I forgot skrat. That's my #1 even :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 06:49:22 am »
Pretty sure they only work north of the Canadian border >:D (SH) (SH)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 07:40:46 am »
I need to try a fur string silencer some time, I've got a rabbit skin that should work pretty well. Do you just cut a strip, wrap it and tuck each end into the string right? I've been using leather tab style silencers that seem to work pretty well and they're dead easy to make.
Trevor

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 08:38:46 am »
Exactly, Trevor. Just be sure you wind the hide around the same way the string twists. Otherwise they loosen up and make noise.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 11:23:51 am »
While we are on the subject, where do you place them, right at the nock, or a few inches out on the string?   I have seen both, I think.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 12:23:22 pm »
I have played around a lot with moving them. There is no doubt recurves prefer them out farther and long bows prefer them inward, say 12" off the loops for long bows and say 9-10" from the loops for recurves.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 02:10:40 pm »
Clint, I buy a lot of furs/hats/shawls of mink, fox, beaver etc at local flea markets and I have never paid more than $5-$7.. There everywhere around here.... But a well tillered bow is quite 😎.... or so I've heard, lol... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....