Author Topic: Bamboo back & belly bow with arrows.  (Read 8313 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Bamboo back & belly bow with arrows.
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 02:13:53 pm »
Sweet bend Steve.I like it.May not be an exact yumi but your construction build-a-long shows how they were done.I can see why they would be good performers.Thanks for sharing.Don't quite know about those fantasy bow tips though....lol.That's ok.Each to their own I say.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 12:07:06 pm »

This is my Egyptian style bow. 54-58" long depending on the draw length. It has water buffalo overlays on the limb tips.Same composite bamboo core as other bows. I don't make any bows without that type of core, as the difference in performance is such that ,it's not worth it. This bow is quite fast and very quiet.Great for hunting as the draw strength gradually builds ,which is nice for cold muscles. Real smooth to draw and shoot.

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2017, 12:15:32 pm »

Ok.Last bow for this posting. Another fantasy type bow.Southindian style with Japanese nocks.The customer wanted me to copy some artwork he sent, so the limbs kook like the wings of an owl. Riser and lower limb to look like body feathers and the upper limb to have primary wing feathers. It came out lighter than he wanted so I made another for him and kept this one. Core has satin wood which I've had for 15 yrs. and you can't get anymore, and tempered bamboo.Length is 72" and 1" wide. Draw wt.of 55Lbs. at 28"
Hope you all enjoyed the pics, and thank-you very much again, for all your compliments. It's been encouraging for me to continue.
Steve

Offline willie

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »
Steve, Once again, some very nice craftsmanship.
I hope you can offer some insight about your Egyptian bow. I read recently that the arrows found in the pyramids seemed to be extremely light weight, as in grains per pound. At least it was assumed that the lighter arrows were possibly shot in heavier drawing bows. Is there something about the bow design that differs from a more typical design that might make it suitable for lighter arrows? You describe the way it pulls as maybe having an unusual force draw curve?

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 03:26:47 pm »
Hi Willie.Thanks for the question.All these bows seem to be able to handle shooting light wt arrows.Ex. I am able to shoot a 250-280grain arrow from a 50lb. bow and no bad things happen.In fact they fly flatter and faster, but no handshock and certainly no damage to the bow. The Egyptian style is not able to take a long draw without taking more set than I like. They also don't do well in high temps. and humidity as the bamboo draws in moisture and becomes weak. I always say if you are comfortable shooting outside then the bow will be comfortable too. I think that's why they were sealed in Urushi  lacquer to protect from high humidity. (in Japan and China)

Offline willie

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 03:43:02 pm »
So you attribute their ability to accommodate very light arrows.......

to the bamboo construction?.....    the shape of the limb?

some other aspect I have not mentioned?

thanks

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 07:12:38 am »
Very cool looking bow.nice work.