Author Topic: making pine pitch  (Read 8568 times)

keekeerun

making pine pitch
« on: March 21, 2008, 10:29:59 am »
If I'm not mistaken, do I have to add charcoal to the pine pitch, If so whats the ratio. anybody know.   THANKS

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: making pine pitch
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:43:16 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, do I have to add charcoal to the pine pitch, If so whats the ratio. anybody know.   THANKS

Well for Starters....you dont need to make Pine Pitch.....you just pick it off the Pine trees...  >:D  >:D  >:D...Pine Pitch is dried Pine Sap....you need to gather it from the Sides of Trees...or if necessary....Make some small cuts in the Bark and collect the Pitch as it oozes out.....

I make my Glue wth a 4-1-1 rule......4 parts Pitch....1 part Charcoal or Wood Ash....and 1 part Lard

Heat slowly in a small soup can in a pot of water (or a double boiler) until melted completely......remove any debris that is in it....bark.....dirt...etc.....  Stir in the wood ash....or charcoal and small amounts of the animal fat until the consistency is approximately like Elmer's glue......  Don't overheat or the turpentine will separate from the rosin, weakening the glue, and potentially catching fire from the turpentine fumes!!!!! :o :o

The glue may be used as-is or poured onto waxed paper and rolled into balls or a cylinder as it cools......I like it like this .....because it can be used like a glue stick..... heated with a lighter or candle to soften and apply.......

Pitch glue made the same way without the animal fat is a good waterproofing seal on sinew wrapping.......  hope that this helps ay out.......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:18:51 pm »
Will the sap come from the trees in the winter or is it better in the summer/ growing season??

Also what is the purpose of the animal fat if it can be made without it??

keekeerun.... Thanks for the question!!! ???

And yankeemongiat... Thanks for the answer!!!! ;D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:33:18 pm »
I only take the Lard out for when I am making it to water proof with....for Hafting ...I use the Lard always...it is put in there for One Major reason...It keeps the Pitch from getting Brittle when aging....you can use Beeswax also...works as good....I just use Lard....cause it's alway in the Kitchen!!!

As for the question about when to get the Sap....anytime on an Evergreen...but the best time is in the Spring and Summer Months
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:08:04 pm »
The fat makes it less brittle and the charcoal adds body. I usually use bees wax for the fat part. I have heard of folks using dried rabbit or deer droppings instead of charcoal.The fibers in them add the body to the pitch glue.   
   Do be careful when you melt the pitch. It will catch fire if you are not careful.    Pat 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

keekeerun

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 11:24:34 pm »
Thanks guys I should have worded my thread collecting pine pitch, sorry.  I got some today put it in an old soup can heated it and strained it thru chicken wire into another can I added charcoal dust and beeswax.  I left it dry and it is still brittle, I 'm going to add more beeswax tommorow.  It took awhile to melt the chunks I got, I hope I did'nt overheat it, I got it pretty runny I hope it still works.  Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 01:41:07 am »
If the pitch is still sticky or oozing when you collect it I like to cook some of the terps out of it.  I don't measure when I make my mixture but I usually go about 2:1:1 with maybe a bit more pitch.   When you have it cleaned and the blend you like, make glue sticks by dipping a stick in the pitch glue and give it a twist then remove it and put the glue in water to solidify it. Do it again until you get a nice size blob on each stick. To use it just hold over a flame until it begins to run and apply it to whatever you are working on. Be careful because it will ignite easily at this point and it you drip it on yourself it will give you a bad burn.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 02:37:26 am »
ould i put crisco in instead of animal fat or beeswax?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 03:01:25 am »
You probably could...but a Pound of Lard is dirt cheap....and  Beeswax isnt too expensive at all..about 4 bucks a pound
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 01:46:46 pm »
ok its just my mom doesnt cook with lard and i dont have beeswax
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

keekeerun

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 02:04:30 pm »
Thanks I'll try the stick idea.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 03:10:11 pm »
  I do 5 parts pitch,1 part powdered charcoal and a touch of wax(Bee's or candle wax) or I'll put in a touch of bacon grease instead of wax.I've always used spruce pitch,don't know if it's any different from pine ? Good luck !  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 11:41:09 pm »
check out one method on primitive skills. i posted pics.