Author Topic: Unibond 800  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Unibond 800
« on: November 24, 2017, 05:36:21 am »
Morning Fellas I have a can of Unibond 800 that I bought about 2 years ago for some thing that I dont rember what for but it never got opened & used it has benn stored in side room Temp. I have read that it can go bad with time turning clay like, has any body used it after setting ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Unibond 800
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 11:52:49 am »
My can is nearly a yr old. Last time it was opened up was 4-6 weeks ago. It was fine. But it's stored in freezer.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 12:28:10 pm »
Thanks Knoll this one is 2 yrs old I didn't know about freezer storage on it , it might be good ,I guess I won't know tell I open it but don't think I want to take the risk limb glue up maybe save it for something less stressed to try out.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 06:48:33 pm »
Don't have Uni bond where I live. Is it  a powder that needs water, or is it a resin and separate hardener?
The powdered only stuff might still  be okay. If its a resin/hardener 2 part it would be past its use by date, even if kept in a fridge(not sure about a freezer though).
Whatever stuff you have, do a test with scraps before committing with valuable bow quality stock.
Love urea formaldehyde glues but they don't have a very long shelf life.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 05:11:10 am »
Well live and learn Im one for hoarding stuff for future projects caught that one on sale and bought it not being the wiser , Im to scared to risk it I have some Smooth on coming !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 08:56:18 am »
Ritch....Smooth on will have an expiration date too.Keep the lid sealed between use.Something like 6 months or so but I've used it beyond that time.Looking at their web site helps.They have technical people on hand to talk to too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 09:24:01 am »
Storing in a freezer CERTAINLY seems to help with Unibond 800.  I've lost a few cans from leaving them out in the garage a couple of times, but when I have kept it in the freezer I have yet to lose one.

OneBow

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 09:35:30 am »
Onebowonder...Funny I do that with super glue too.It's actually recommended.I buy 3/4 ounce bottles.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed