Author Topic: Persimmon question  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Persimmon question
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:36:05 pm »
Krp(Kevin) sent me a beautiful persimmon stave from the straightest persimmon I've ever seen. Thanks again, Kevin. The stave is about 68" long and 4" across the back with the bark still on it. It is about 3" deep with fairly straight sides.
My question is...will persimmon make an ELB? I was hoping, after I remove the bark and inspect the stave to saw it lengthwise so I can make a flat bow and an ELB. Even though and because of it straightness I was gonna saw it instead of trying to split out a narrow stave off of it's side.
 This won't be happening soon as I believe the wood was just cut recently but my curiosity is itching.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Persimmon question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 05:15:46 am »
Is'nt that persimmon diffuse pourus?That type does'nt split too well.Sawing very well could be the only option.Bottom half for ELB being more crowned?Gotta tune up your ring chasing skills then I'd say too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:16:06 am »
Persimmon works well for an elb. I made a couple and left then a little long as I'd heard persimmon takes more set then normal. One worked fine at 60# at 27" draw. The other I'm not sure, it came out at 130# at 30", I still haven't made any arrow heads for the arrows large enough to try yet. It took about 2" set tillering it out. It's really long at about 80" between the nocks.

Kyle

Offline ohma2

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:42:46 am »
Pat not sure how dry your wood is ,i know all the persimmon ive cut loves to twist alot when drying.something you might watch out for.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 02:32:14 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. I'll leave this stave whole until I'm ready to work it and that will probably be a year at least.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Krp

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 03:14:48 pm »
Pat not sure how dry your wood is ,i know all the persimmon ive cut loves to twist alot when drying.something you might watch out for.

PatB, just wanted to let you know that persimmon was cut about 6 weeks ago. I have also heard persimmon likes to twist. I worked two staves down to floor tiller to dry a little faster. I clamped them to 2 x 4's. So far I haven't had any that I have cut that look like they are trying to twist yet. Including the two at floor tiller. I am hoping for the best.

Good luck with your stave Pat. I'm sure you will make very nice bows with it.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 01:17:08 pm »
I have a couple of screw poles that i use to strap dementioned wood to ,saves alot of work on perssimon.

Offline Krp

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 07:35:55 pm »
I have a couple of screw poles that i use to strap dementioned wood to ,saves alot of work on perssimon.

Don't want to hijack PatB's thread but I have a few more persimmon trees I will be getting. I was wondering if any does twist while drying, can it be steamed out when ready to use?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 08:44:09 pm »
Don't worry Kevin. Any info is good info. :OK I'm also curious about which heat correction method works best for persimmon.