Author Topic: Snow  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Snow
« on: November 20, 2017, 06:24:06 am »
Today is the second day of Bear season in Pa. and we got a nice 2-3" dusting of snow. First day it rained all day and kill was way down. Today they will take a whipping, every standing corn field will be pushed for Mr. Bear. My self I have no desire to kill a bear. In Pa. we have really big bear, can't imagine getting them out whole and to a check station. Bob (S)  Oh try pressure washing one of these fat corn fed bear, get ya some help to move hide around. :o ;D Bob
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:30:05 am by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Zuma

Re: Snow
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 07:38:55 am »
Yep some big ones up there. I used to tree them coon hunting back
in the 70 ies, snow and all. 400 lbs was no problem. A lot of the area also had
closed seasons for years.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:00:24 am »
They opened up the bear hunt down here and dropped the population last year in FL.  It was needed.  Note sure that they had a bear hunt this year.

It's not high on my list...but I find myself coming around to the idea with time.  I'd be interested in a black powder hunt in NC...know some guys that raise dogs and it's big time tradition.

Perhaps down the road.
1’—>1’

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:50:41 am »
I took one on Sept 10th here in Michigan. It was sentimental to me as my dad was a bear hunter using a recurve so I put it on my bucket list. It took me 8 years to draw a tag for the area that my dad hunted in. My son, cousin and myself all drew tags on the buddy system and we all took bear with a bow the first week.

I used a Bear Kodiak Hunter recurve that my dad saved for me in 1969 after he closed the archery shop.  He gave it to me when I got back from the Marines.  I used that recurve, an aluminum arrow and Black diamond broad head that my dad killed a big game animal with and I put my ladder stand in the same tree that dad took bear out of. It was a great evening with a lot of sun and the colors starting to turn.  I got settled in the ladder stand, noticed the great weather and looked up and asked dad for some help.  I saw three bear that night and shot the 3rd one that came in. it was a 6 yard lung shot and he went about 40 yards. I looked up and said, "thanks pop" as I knew he was with me.  it was probably the most calm I had ever been when hunting and shooting an animal.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 09:59:19 am »
That's pretty special Jeb. Very satisfying hunt I'm sure. Sure glad it all came together for you and your "pop".
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:43:45 am »
Jeb, what a great hunt and story, evertything about it is perfect and what a close relationship still going with your Dad. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 01:32:10 pm »
Outback I agree should be in a magazine. You know what I just noticed? We don't have a bear imogwhateveryoucallem
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 01:58:29 pm »
That's a great story JEB. Thanks for sharing it here Sir.

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 04:19:04 pm »
Didn't mean to hijack Bobs thread but he mentioned bear and my bear season came to mind.

No snow here in Michigan where we live.  It made it to 48 degrees.

Thanks  for all the kind words.  Even though it has been 7 years since dad left us, this time of the year is still a tough one at times as we bow hunted a lot.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 04:28:10 pm »
Glad ya had and adventure to share with us. Bob

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 04:31:54 pm »
Thanks JEB. I appreciated hearing that today.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 09:16:18 pm »
Bob,  that's when you find out who your friends are >:D!
JEB, that is a real cool story, and a great legacy.  Congratulations!  I would think your son will also fill a tag with that bow. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 02:29:03 am »
GREAT story  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 05:10:43 am »
Awesome story Jon. Special memories for sure.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 07:01:58 am »
They shot 3 that are over 500#  in the next county to ours, One was 700# live weight according to the check station, that's a lot of BEAR to move. Bob