Author Topic: Ash backed massaranduba handshock  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Stefan

Ash backed massaranduba handshock
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:47:06 pm »
Hi all,

It has been a while...finally a new bow. This time an ash backed massaranduba flatbow. I have glued in 2'' of reflex but the backing was a bit to thin.

The bow is quite long, it draws smooth but I do experience hand shock. Could the B50 flemish string be the problem? Do you see something I could improve on? The picture isn't very good...

Greetings Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ash backed massaranduba handshock
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:30:32 pm »
Please post a pic of the back profile. I use B-50 all the time without hand shock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Badger

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 02:44:40 pm »
   I just finished several massaranduba bows and they all came in with too much mass and took set regardless. I found out that massaranduba dries extremely slow and is very often high in moisture. Let the bow dry for a few months and see if it improves. maybe push it back into reflex while it is stores. I wish I would have saved my bows and dries them but I sawed them up before I realized they were probably wet. I did hang on to one self bow that I finished at 35#. I checked it over the weekend and it had gone up to 42# as it dried.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:13:48 pm »
Hi Stefan, How long is your bow? I have a 76"er massa- stiff handled self bow, its like shooting an iron bar re handshock. Despite its length, even tiller it still took nearly 3" of set, so I think Badger is right regarding moisture content.
If the Massa' is straight grained, it doesn't need backing. Indeed you can use a strip of massa' for a backing. If your board is deep enough you can saw off a backing, and glue the 2 pieces back together in a reflex.

I have made a couple of other flatbows, 64-66" long, 1&1/2" wide or so, with a little reflex and they worked quite well, no real handshock.
I have also made a slew less than 1" wide ELBs. backed with hickory and reflexed. It makes a really nice shooting bow, with no real handshock.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:29:55 pm »
Bulletwood is definitely the hickory of tropical woods.  I remember the moisture content discussion came up about it before on Paleoplanet.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 06:18:29 am »
Hey Stefan, alles goed? kom eens langs met dat ding, ben wel benieuwd;-) (sorry could not resist putting in some dutch words)
But nice to see you back to making some bows! Now about the massuranduba, I had the same problem with my bamboo backed massu longbows, the trick for me was to shorten them a bit and reduce the tip width as much as possible. I also make the tips bend a little, seems to work better with massuranduba

Offline Stefan

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 01:12:48 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know that massaranduba was that prone to accumalate moisture. I am going to make an fast flight bow string, check the moisture content, let it rest indoors for a week or two d shoot with arrows to match.

@ Hamish, its about 70""
@ Pat B, it has an pyramid design, i will make an pic
@ Leon, we definitely should meet up! Bet it can learn a thing or two from you and I still have some laburnum vossi for you :-)
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 03:53:48 pm »
If you come over next week or the week after I guarantee you we can fix the handshock and show the final bow here. Should be fun!

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 04:47:53 pm »
70" for that type of design, and if the limbs are about1&1/2"(?) is a little on the long side, but not a great deal.
Another option is to try shooting with heavier arrows.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 05:55:48 pm »
the handle looks a little deep and square,, hard to tell from the photo,,
heavy arrows will help
I am guessing as stated above,, it may be a bit heavy in mass for the draw weight ,, I dont think you said the draw weight,,,,
I am sure you can fine tune it a bit, making the handle a bit more comfortable should help too,, even taking it down so you can wrap it with leather will help some too

Offline Stefan

Finished: Re: Ash backed massaranduba handshock
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 02:17:32 pm »
Hi all,

I reduced the handshock on this bow by reducing the weight of the tips (less bulky) and fine tuning the tiller. I finally finished this bow for an club member, Drawweight was a bit light for me...

Unfortunatly I found out a bit too late that this bow+me equals quite good results. It's in good hands now, an Junior National Champion is happy with it.

Bow is finished with danish oil and has an fastflight string. First bow i used my new logo/signature on.

Thanks you all for the advise. Greetings Stefan

Leonardo

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 02:41:06 pm »
Well done Stefan! Funny that those little tweaks can make a bow so much better!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 06:35:46 pm »
    3 under will create hand shock...I shoot 3 under because I gap shoot now...Try split finger and you will feel a 50% to 75% decrease in total vibration...Just try it and feel the difference...I tiller for it now
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;