Author Topic: Hard liver shot doe  (Read 19102 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Hard liver shot doe
« on: November 22, 2017, 08:51:45 pm »
Put a good arrow through an old doe this evening.Been getting colder here waiting on Mr. Big to come by and it's about time I shot something for meat/rawhide/and sinew anyway.I've got another tag though.It was an 8 to 10 yard shot with my horn bow and a 568 grain self nocked dogwood with a 145 grain stos broadhead.Arrow was a pass through and hav'nt found the arrow yet.Look for it tomorrow.Robin found her around 60 to 70 yards from where it was shot.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 04:59:27 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Hard liver shot doe found
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:57:24 pm »
 Nice shootin' Ed!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:05:35 pm »
 Was looking at the deer and congrats, but that bow has some serious reflex after unstringing from the hunt and love the quiver also...
                                                                                                                       Don 
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:02:43 am »
Way to go!  Robin deserves a pic for the tracking!  Btw, I read somewhere that black light shows blood sign very well after dark, not that most of have one real handy!  I'd rather hear a tracker dog baying the find!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 04:33:57 am »
Thanks fellas.Good luck yourselves fellas.The weather is holding up pretty decent this year.I'll keep a hunting.
The bow was shown on the horn bow thread.. .http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,57143.0.html
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:17:20 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Hard liver shot doe
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:24:34 am »
Congrats Ed -C-

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 06:52:25 am »
Congratulations Ed. You put in your time for sure. Good Hunting and diffinitly something to be Thankful for. I just love your horn bows. Is that the one you just finished or is it the one you repaired the handle on? Never mind I can see it's your trusted old friend that you repaired the handle on. Sweet.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 07:03:05 am »
Nice job Ed, good looking doe and Bow. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 07:31:21 am »
Good job Ed!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 08:26:12 am »
Thanks again fellas...A picture of what I appreciate about a lot of these animals out there in general.Normally who in the world would have a doe mounted.Noone!!!Not me!!!I'm different!!!I try to put a tribute to a lot of different animals out there just from the way I feel about them.
I like big bucks too don't get me wrong but this primitive bow making hobby puts that appreciation to a different level of gratitude.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 09:15:28 am »
Ed I know exactly what you mean. I know you respect her and will give her new life. Honestly I've only been doing this for two years but those older does are some really challenging animals for this type of hunting. I think their more alert than the young bucks. Can't wait to see what creations she turns into.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 09:41:03 am »
Congratulations, Ed! Good shooting and meat for the freezer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 03:38:03 pm »
Thanks Mullet.Right now it will supplement our diet here.Would like to get at least 1 more...buck or doe.
BJ.....Those old does take on a responsibility of taking care of their young.They don't seem to let that responsibility leave them come fall and winter through breeding season.They've tattled on me many a time.Bucks many times are just plain self absorbed and easier but to get a chance at a big boy it's just a roll of the dice being in the right place at the right time.Working the odds.The way I look at it here these deer are a replenishable resource not suffering too much here anyway.With the call for more and more good rawhide right now all this does' hide is destined for is that as a trade item.We'll take use and care of the rest....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 11:25:43 pm »
congrats!! awesome job.I had a similar shot on a doe this year. It was a good liver shot right at dust. I followed the trail for 50yrds marking it with toilet paper as I went. I pulled out to start again in the morning. It was going down to 32 that evening and decided this would be best so I didn't bump her out . Me and my buddy started at the last mark of toilet paper in the morning. We went about another 60yrds or so with great blood the whole way only to come up on a gut pile. 15 yrds from the gut pile was a ladder stand I never new was there. We could see where it was dragged and went down to a small parking area 200yrds down the ridge. Needless to say I was bummed..... Kick myself in the butt for not tracking it out that night. Im just glad that the deer didn't go to waste and someone was able to use the meat.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 07:01:27 am »
Yes that is a bummer.All a person can do if possible is keep trying later on.You just ran across a plain thief that's all!!A ladder stand is quite a permanent type stand I thought.
I have an outfitter across the fence from my 80 leasing 600 acres at least last year anyway and I suspect the same thing happened.Not sure if his clients are there this year though or that he is leasing the ground again.I've left them over night too to find them partially eaten by coyotes too.Sometimes years can be a struggle one way or another.
This paticular deer this year stayed on my 80 and when it left I could see it was hurt pretty bad trotting around in tight circles and did'nt actually go very far.Sort of a semi circle around me actually.Very little if any blood trail.
I trusted my shot as the arrow just disappeared.Gutting and butchering it showed the damage.I've looked for the arrow a long long time though and can't seem to find it.Robin says I've got to get a metal detector....lol.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:33:11 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed