Author Topic: Missed  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Missed
« on: November 23, 2017, 11:55:39 am »
Three does came by this morning, I had one that stopped behind a sapling at about 50 yards and needed to take another step. She took the step but apparently didn't clear the sapling as well as I thought. My flintlock roared but the deer ran off unscathed, dang.

Offline sleek

Re: Missed
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 11:57:53 am »
That poor sapling. Bet ya couldnt hit it twice ;)

That looks like a locust. Honey locust? Make a bow of it :D
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 12:40:06 pm »
It was a blue beech sapling, AKA muscle wood. I understand it makes an OK bow but the one I cut wasn't bow quality.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:48:46 pm »
I just looked out my back window and saw a really nice buck bird dogging a doe. I thought " I need a deer to give my sister-in-law" and grabbed my still loaded flintlock. When I stepped out on the deck the doe nailed me, the buck didn't and laid down behind a big log. The doe had a stare down with me and won, she decided to leave. The poor tuckered out buck got up and followed her offering no shot.

His G2s were about 10", heavy body deer.

I live in the woods in the country and it is legal to hunt my 4 acres. I have lived here for 15 years and always left the deer alone. They have become such pests I was planning to thin the herd some this year. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 01:01:13 pm »
That sounds rather an amuzing situation you described there. Personally, i think id leave the deer alone on my property yoo if i owned 4 acres. Leave them be for later should hunting elsewhere become difficult or impossible.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:29:35 pm »
I do have houses around, the closest is about 200 yards away, I am the last house on a dead end road and my place buts up against a hundred or more wooded acres that I don't have permission to hunt.

My deer are almost always nocturnal according to the trail camera I put out to check on them.