Author Topic: Nock repair  (Read 3204 times)

Offline DC

Nock repair
« on: November 23, 2017, 05:03:09 pm »
I have some arrows that don't fit the string nicely, they are a bit loose. Does anyone have a slick way of building up the inside of the nock so the string snaps on nicely? I've tried spreading glue in the nock with mixed results, maybe lack of prep or something.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Nock repair
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 05:17:19 pm »
If there plastic, I pinch them together with a pair of pliers or actually my teeth.  If they are boo or cane heat them with a candle and pinch the with pliers.
Just what I do...
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 05:36:21 pm »
They are bamboo. I just tried steaming one a squeezing it. Didn't hold. I guess I'll try harder.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 06:06:31 pm »
Candle worked but the soot is kinda messy :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 06:51:06 pm »
Hold it higher above the flame to prevent the soot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 07:06:25 pm »
DC...When making self nocks I have 2 small hobby files I use for detailing the tightness of fit onto the string.Initial cut is the width of 2 hack saw blades.Everyones serving may be different thickness and everyone has to make them to suit their own serving on their own bows.I use a flat 1/4" wide file and a round rat tail file the exact same diameter as my serving is.You might do the same I don't know.The throat of the nock is slightly narrower then where the string snaps into the nock to the degree of tightness that I want really.Going onto the string they will sound just like the plastic nocks really.I like it just tight enough to hang onto the string but will tap off with my finger if I want.Not so tight that it takes a lot to take the arrow off the string nor so loose that it won't stay on the string on it's own upside down.
I use a mantle lantern of dry heat[no soot involved there] and pinch it lightly and let it cool.Same lantern I use to straighten arrow shafts with.It'll work on bamboo good too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 07:18:08 pm »
Yup, that's pretty much word for word how I do it. Sounds like we bought the same jewellers files. One thing I have difficulty with. I use a 1/8" rattail in my drill in reverse to round out the bottom of the nock. What I have trouble with is radiusing the edge of the hole so the string won't get cut. Anything I use to radius the hole widens the throat of the nock. Even the point of the rattail won't get in there all that well. I've been carving them roundish with a No 11 Exacto blade but it's less than perfect.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 03:26:56 pm »
I will lightly round out the edges of the groove also a bit and get rid of any sharp edge so that it does'nt wear out any of the serving also.Hold the nock at a low angle light and make sure everything is very smooth.
They take a bit more time than plastic but I like them better.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 04:05:37 pm »
What do you use to round it all out?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 08:56:32 pm »
100 grit paper.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 10:50:41 am »
I guess what I have to do is get everything rounded and smooth and then go back and fit it to the string. I usually use sandpaper but running it around usually makes the nock too big.

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 08:13:37 pm »
a dremel tool, used judisciously, will grind out that relief slot coming down the shaft.
thats what i have done in the past!

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 02:14:49 pm »
When I make self nocks, i find it works to adjust the final fit in the following manner....

When the nock is completely shaped but unfinished, I dip the nock into a pot of my usual varnish (Ronseal diamond hard floor varnish here in the UK). Swing the arrow by the pile/point end (outdoors!) to get rid of the excess varnish and clear the string slot in the nock. Then i hang the arrow up by the pile/point end using blutak on a wall, or a peg and a hanging line.  While the arrow is hanging with the nock down, gravity will cause the varnish to form drops on each side of the nock slot.  When fully dried, these drops of varnish will allow the nock to grip the string, and the coat of varnish will slightly tighten the nock on the string.

Cheers, Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719