Author Topic: Arrowwood viburnum shrubs.  (Read 5337 times)

Offline Morgan

Arrowwood viburnum shrubs.
« on: November 05, 2017, 10:52:05 pm »
Been thinking of planting some arrow shaft producing plants. From reading, it looks like the Arrowwood viburnum is a very easy to grow specimen that tolerates most any soil. Anyone grow this, or use shafts from this plant. For that matter what, I’m this communities opinion, would be the best plant for someone to grow to have a self sustaining arrow shaft crop if you will. I live in Oklahoma so whatever I choose needs to be able to handle our drastic weather swings. I know that shaft material is easily found, but it’d be nice to have something in my back yard. I’ve even thought about planting some elm and hackberry along one fence line for future bowstaves.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrowwood viburnum shrubs.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:08:39 am »
Morgan, check with your Cooperative Extension Service about your area and the plants that grow well. I think OK has some cane, possibly some of the shrub dogwood types, viburnums and other usable shafting plants.
 We have arrow wood Vib growing wild but not on my property. I do have blackhaw Vib. here and have made good arrows with it.  IMO, the best arrow wood is the one that works best for you. I also have hill cane on my property but prefer sourwood for making arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 12:00:21 pm »
I tried to get my local garden center to order in some Arrowwood viburnum. They couldn't find it anywhere. I planted a clumping bamboo (Fargesia scabrida) 4-5 years ago and should cut my first shafts next year.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 09:31:05 pm »
Morgan, check with your Cooperative Extension Service about your area and the plants that grow well. I think OK has some cane, possibly some of the shrub dogwood types, viburnums and other usable shafting plants.
 We have arrow wood Vib growing wild but not on my property. I do have blackhaw Vib. here and have made good arrows with it.  IMO, the best arrow wood is the one that works best for you. I also have hill cane on my property but prefer sourwood for making arrows.

Pat, we do have cane. I cut a gob of it during summer and it was all too young and wilted. I also cut a bunch of shoots from a very big maple that had shoots growing from all over it low on the trunk. I think they were coming from wounds on the tree. I believe they were too young too, dried out but they were still real whippy, no stiffness.
DC, was thinking about growing some clumping bamboo, but unsure of which kind is most suitable, and how long it takes to take hold. Also heard it’s finicky of soil type. That Arrowwood is supposed to grow in anything if I’m reading right.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:22:51 am »
I used to cut Southern Arrowwood all the time. It seemed to go in semi wet areas the best and grew on hill side and such in the wood. My best shoot grove was a semi wet area in a woods that has been regrowing and had lots of sunlight. If growing it in your yard I would probably have to get fairly large to get good straight shafts.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Wind D Ranch

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 07:39:21 am »
I planted Arrow Wood Viburnum (Viburnum dentatum) in my yard about 4 years ago.  About twice per year, I cut off the crooked shoots and trim the straight shoots to remove unwanted branches.  I'll be harvesting my first shoots this winter.  The Viburnum is doing so well that I planted another one last year.  I'm also growing Red Osier and river cane to make arrow shafts.  I plan to harvest my first river cane shafts this winter.  I live in Northern Missouri.  I planted an Arrow Wood Viburnum at my cousin's house last year (SE Kansas) and it is growing well.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 09:03:36 am »
Thank you. I will get a couple next spring  to try. I don’t think red osier will grow here.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 10:54:29 am »
Morgan, where do you live? I would almost bet that there are at least one type of shrub dogwood growing in your area and they all make good arrows. Even one of the dogwood trees, Alternate leaf or Pagoda dogwood has appropriate shoots for arrows. There may also be native viburnums growing in your area. Roses make good arrows and multiflora rose grows everywhere in the eastern US, at least the southeast.
 This time of year is a good time to plant shrubs before the ground freezes. Even though the plant is dormant the roots continue to grow giving the shrub a head start once spring comes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 02:07:38 pm »
Pat, I live in eastern Oklahoma. I’m sure there’s lots of native material and I need to cut some more stuff to play with. Drawing a blank on the cane and maple that I’ve cut. I like the idea of getting something started right on my fenceline that will give me a steady supply as I need it. Didn’t know you could plant now. Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 05:45:35 pm »
Yes, now is one of the best times because of the reasons I mentioned. Try to find out what the local Natives used.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 09:26:27 pm »
All that I am familiar with is Cherokee and the only material I know of them using is rivercane here in Oklahoma, the eastern band may have used others. I want to use local rivercane as well, my last cane collecting trip didn’t produce as the cane was too young and I didn’t know it. Need to try again.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 10:23:24 pm »
The Eastern band probably used Hill cane because it is indigenous to the Southern Appalachian in NC, GA and Tenn where they lived. They probably used all three of the native canes, hill cane, switch cane and ricer cane. They did a lot with the local cane from arrows, atlatls darts, blowguns, floor mats and wall panels, even double woven baskets that would hold water and they could cook in using hot rocks as the heat source.

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 08:03:32 pm »
Look for Yaupon Holly. Quite a bit of it wild growing and makes a good material.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:24:34 pm by JonW »