Author Topic: Straightening Arrows  (Read 2882 times)

Offline DC

Straightening Arrows
« on: November 24, 2017, 11:15:26 am »
I'm taking some minor bends out of some arrows. It just takes a very slight bend to straighten them, very slight. Just a slight push with the heel of my hand. What I'm wondering is if the first time I shoot them or pull them out of the target isn't there a very big chance of the bend coming back or of putting a new one in? Bamboo arrows if it matters.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Straightening Arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 03:29:00 pm »
Dc, do you temper the cane shafts after straightening? What I do is start at one end adding heat while rotating the shaft and move along the shaft to the other end then lay them flat to cool. I sometimes have to do a light straightening like you said and that usually helps keep them straight. Be careful when you reach the far end because of steam coming out that will scald you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 04:04:26 pm »
Does tempering help normalise stresses?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 08:05:57 pm »
When I do that, all of the corrections I made come out-unless I continually straighten as I heat.  Burnishing with a steel screwdriver will take out those minor bends after a shot.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 09:23:23 pm »
For me it stabilizes the shaft. I do it with hardwood shoots too and sometimes add coloration for a camo effect.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 10:09:25 am »
I'll give that a try on the next batch. I've always been afraid that reheating them would take out all the heat  straightening I'd already done.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 08:55:19 pm »
DC.....I've seen an over amount of moisture onto a heat straightened shaft bring it back to being crooked.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 10:53:17 am »
Yeah, that's kind of normal around here. The ground is usually wet from Nov-April and no matter how hard I try some arrows end up on the ground.