Author Topic: Deflex HHB Recurve  (Read 12579 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Deflex HHB Recurve
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 08:09:42 pm »
For stringing heavy recurves I like to place the tips between two solid platforms of wood spaced adequately  and press down on the handle.  Then I can  slip the loop in place or get a little help doing so if I need to keep all my weight centered.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 06:22:43 am »
What a bow to make for someone Marc!!Nice work.A milestone for you.Reason for the backing to help with reflex and avoid failure???
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 06:36:31 am »
Trying to make this as a selfbow would have much harder.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 07:41:32 am »
Well I've never stated this before or maybe not enough but I have great respect for these fellas making and shooting of course these bows of high draw weight.Amazing!Personally I'm stuck too much in being a practical type guy of these bows and just plain not strong enough to shoot such a bow either.I do realize the tremendous type strain and power in a bow such as this and war bows in general.Good to see the capabilities of it.Same rules apply though.Good tiller is the life of a bow and this one looks that way for sure.Congrats.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ohma2

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 01:24:45 pm »
Mark  beautifull bow.what will this bow be used for ?hunting  or flight? ive been in archery for 50 years now and ive only seen 2 men that could acurately handle a bow of those dementions

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 02:40:01 pm »
   If they are the two guys I am thinking of the father is about 65 years old and he can still handle the weight.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 03:36:40 pm »
I couldnt figure out what was so hard about making such a bow till I read the draw weight and length. Holy crap, that is one greatly made monster!
Respect!

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 09:28:25 pm »
Wow that is an impressive looking bow Marc! Congrats! I find that HHB lends itself to heavy draw weight bows...most of mine end up around ~ 70 # draw weight but that is where I max out, so I would not even try to make one at over 100 #. 

How did you inch your way up to the heavy draw weight at full draw when tillering the bow? Where you nervous drawing it back to full draw length?

Offline Badger

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 10:03:19 pm »
 Philip, not sure how Mark does it but a lot of us start pulling it to full draw weight from the very beginning, so once you get to the full draw length it is not as scary.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 04:31:19 am »
 Amazing in every way Marc !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2017, 05:03:46 am »
Wow! Just wow! Amazing with that shape at that length. I can image the struggle it took to finish that one!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2017, 06:14:18 am »
Thanks guys

Guys name is Luciano and if he is 65 years old then he is in much better shape than I am.

I was nervous pulling it back to full draw, mostly because I was using my weight to pull it back and if it let go I would have gone for a tumble.  I used a thick shooting glove to protect my fingers and used 2 hands on the string.  When I braced the bow for the first time the string tension was so high it sounded like high C on a piano.  I tried several times to capture a picture at full draw but my timing was always off with the camera and I just couldn't hold it for any length of time.

I don't tiller that way Steve.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 08:02:47 am »
        I don't think it is the same guy I was thinking of. We had 2 guys show up at the flats this year, father and son who were both pulling and shooting bows over 125#. The father was about 65. I hope your bow does show up out there. 500 yards wouldn't surprise me and even 400 yards in the broadhead wouldn't be out of the question.

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2017, 08:14:25 am »
Steve, aren't you thinking of Monus?

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2017, 08:17:43 am »
Steve, aren't you thinking of Monus?

No Monuz is much younger. I will find his name. I think he is from Texas. He and his son have a flight field right out their backdoor.