Author Topic: Learned my actual draw length and wow!  (Read 6784 times)

Offline Nidhoggr

Re: Learned my actual draw length and wow!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 09:50:32 pm »
Thanks for the info, guys! I am actually in the process of shopping for a new bow for tax season.  Thinking of a 50-60" recurve at 65# since I cannot find any tillered to a 23" draw.  Would still give me AMPLE power.  I also discovered I shoot INSANELY better mediterranean/3 under style.  I can anchor way better that way is part of what I think it is. 

My record was 10/20 on target at 10 yards on a 1 foot x 1.5 foot target with a 6 inch bullseye split finger.  Tonight I tried out three finger just to see: 17/20 on target with 8 bullseyes without a warmup.  I can draw more efficiently, anchor more efficiently, and release more efficiently three-under it seems.  Always scoffed at that shooting style but now I realize how much I have been doing wrong over the years. 

So apparently my "optimal" setup is: 23" draw, 24" (not including nock or head) shafts, and three-under style.  I actually get more power on release too.  The target I spoke of? Well... It was a 3 inch thick piece of styrofoam that I made and one of my carbon fiber arrows split it in half and cracked the wood 5/16 dowel that was holding it up  :P

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 08:20:41 am »
You should send jonW a message, this sounds like a bow he has made several times.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 01:09:02 pm »
You should send jonW a message, this sounds like a bow he has made several times.

Does he make custom ordered bows? If so I will definitely hit him up.  Not sure my price range either lol.

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 01:32:11 pm »
I dont know his price range either, but i do know the guy personally and know the bow you are after sounds to me like a favorite style of his.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 03:07:41 pm »
I dont know his price range either, but i do know the guy personally and know the bow you are after sounds to me like a favorite style of his.

I will definitely hit him up then and see what's rocking! Thank you!