Author Topic: Looking for summer sausage recipe  (Read 17078 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Looking for summer sausage recipe
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 03:48:04 pm »
Thanks Chris,  Ill check that out. 
Between my bow deer and my doe and button buck with my rifle Ive put right at 200 lbs of meat in the freezer this season.  I still had 71lbs of deer burger in the freezer.  I plan on making a lot of sausage and jerky before long!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 08:09:35 am »
I think that burger jerky gun is a great way to use up burger. Sure, its not actual muscle fiber jerky, but its good and uses up the burger. You just be sure to bring plenty of this jerky and sausage up north with you this spring :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 11:04:21 am »
Thats how I make my jerky anymore Chris.  I really like the simplisity of the jerky cannon. 
Ill do my best to bring some with me.  I just hope I can make it up this year.  Funds are tighter than last year and im still not working.  But if there is a way ill try to make it.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 03:44:47 am »
I know this is old but I have tried this recipe for Mettwurst and it is a very nice mild, smooth summer sausage.

https://oldfatguy.ca/?p=4921
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 07:57:57 pm »
Thanks Rob!
I ended up going with some store bought kits.  Changed it up a bit myself and so far I haven't been disappointed.  Me and a friend made around 150lbs worth! Next on the list is a homemade sausage stuffer!

Patrick

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 05:48:46 am »
I bought one with metal gears and the one below looks just like mine. DIY might be difficult as you need that seal the entire way of the piston. Plus, stuffers get nasty fast and you need to be able to keep it clean.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200680783_200680783?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Food%20Processing%20%3E%20Stuffers&utm_campaign=Huntrite&utm_content=57627&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzuXBl9ug2wIVjbXACh2EeA28EAQYBSABEgJW5_D_BwE

Once you tried stuffing sticky ground mixed meat down the throat of a meat grinder trying to stuff you learn the value really quickly of a sausage stuffer!

Also if you looking for recipes check out smoking meats.com forum. I cure the all the rump muscles and make glazed deer ham and then slice it on the slicer. Darn, that stuff it good. I do the same with goose breasts but that is peppered like pastrami
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 11:24:35 am »
Patrick,
Looking forward to meeting you at MoJam, and trying your sausage!  Over smoked and under fatted my elk brats and got them too dry, but they make a good base for a egg scramble with mushrooms.  Used a store bought mix, but am looking for a home component recipe!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 09:25:06 pm »
Thanks guy's ill check it out!

Looking forward to meeting you to hawk! Ill definitely have some sausage!

Patrick

Offline ohma2

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 03:35:00 pm »
I know you are wanting a recipe. If you are ever in the wellington mo.area stop into nadler meat prosesing and try there summer sausage ,its to die for best i have ever found.think they even have a web site now.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 02:02:08 pm »
Will do,  thanks Omaha!

Patrick