Author Topic: 2nd buckskin  (Read 3931 times)

Offline paulsemp

2nd buckskin
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:00:57 pm »
Just finished up another Hide. I used soap and oil again. The lessons just keep coming with doing this. No matter how much I read it out of a book it's hard to understand how important it is to keep that hide moving until it's completely dried.  one trick I've learned is when you think the hide is dry throw in the freezer in the areas with water will show themselves. I started out stretching it in a frame but knew I wasn't going to finish so I threw it in the freezer and finish it off by hand. I have a couple tough spots but that's life. Sure wish I had another person to teach me this in person but I feel I'm doing okay on my own.  this was off a big buck my buddy shot a few years back and that neck sure is tough on a big buck

Offline osage outlaw

Re: 2nd buckskin
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:07:31 pm »
Looks great Paul.  What are you using for the smoke source?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 06:08:57 pm »
A little Weber grill with a few charcoals. Then I dump in punky silver maple. I know some woods are better than others but that's all I have on hand

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:28:06 pm »
Yep looking good, learning will keep coming, I still learn something on everyone. I do the freezer thing a lot, never tried stretching one while racked up, I always do them by hand, if I get tired I just roll them up and put in a bag and through it in the freezer, another way to tell if it is truly dry is squeeze up a fist full and let it go, if it stays wrinkled it is still wet, if it is dry it will go back flat as soon as you let it go. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 07:12:13 pm »
Paul, lookin real good and your stretch in frame is nice and square. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 07:47:57 pm »
Looks good Paul. Is Your daughter going to be wearing those? I bet she's watching the whole process.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 07:53:58 pm »
Not sure im willing to share yet....  :)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 10:48:34 pm »
Paulsemp,  She don't get a dress -you may be in a heap of trouble!  I like your smoke cooler pipe!  Most any hardwood will work, fruit woods, oak hickory ash, punk wood of any will make good smoke.  It all is work, let her in on the action, she will appreciate the end product more.  Looks like you are doing good!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 06:27:19 am »

So she's going to get the better ones when you have this all perfected then.lol. Hawkdancer if you saw Nina and how excited she gets about fur you'd know she's going to be wearing buckskins. She's a pretty special girl with a pretty special dad.
Bjrogg

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 08:41:36 am »
Great job Paul! I like the smoker set up.  I use my egg grill and just pipe over from the top.  I can't wait to see what you make out of them.  I haven't done a full buck skin yet only small pelts but I need to get started,  got to get this freezer cleaned out.  Nice work buddy!

Patrick 
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 12:42:17 pm »

So she's going to get the better ones when you have this all perfected then.lol. Hawkdancer if you saw Nina and how excited she gets about fur you'd know she's going to be wearing buckskins. She's a pretty special girl with a pretty special dad.
Bjrogg

Alright Brian quit blowing smoke up everyone's you know what. She'll end up getting something but honestly I have a hard time making anything for my daughters in the sense of clothing. they are growing like weeds and what fits her today won't fit her tomorrow. So if she wants a bag that's cool otherwise I'm going to be selfish with them.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 04:00:08 pm »
Paul I know exactly what you mean. I'm still sure she's going to be wearing buckskin even if it's just a quiver or bag of some kind. Just had to give you a little razzing. I knew you'd never admit to the good dad part but we all know.
Bjrogg

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 08:41:48 am »
Looks great Paul, Nina's gonna love it  ;)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 04:38:57 pm »
Looks great Paul, Nina's gonna love it  ;)

yep
good job
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !