Author Topic: More on speed  (Read 15341 times)

Offline Badger

Re: More on speed
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2017, 04:57:58 pm »
lighter pound bows may tend to make faster shooters probably because it's easier to make a bow without set if it's lighter. The material is under less stress while the design doesn't change that much, and you have more room to work on perfecting the tiller.

For speed and target shooting, this advantage may be good.

But if your hunting or flight shooting, then the light arrow may have less kinetic energy.

I believe you are right that they are under less stress but in reality that is only because the heavier bows are under designed. The stress is ideally identical regardless of draw weight.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2017, 06:02:42 pm »
lighter pound bows may tend to make faster shooters probably because it's easier to make a bow without set if it's lighter. The material is under less stress while the design doesn't change that much, and you have more room to work on perfecting the tiller.

For speed and target shooting, this advantage may be good.

But if your hunting or flight shooting, then the light arrow may have less kinetic energy.

I believe you are right that they are under less stress but in reality that is only because the heavier bows are under designed. The stress is ideally identical regardless of draw weight.
Ideally, if we were excellent bowyers our designs would appropriately reflect the stresses. you seem to demonstrate this, but many, myself included, don't. DCs realization probably shows like you said, that we tend to "under design" our bows.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline DC

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2017, 07:40:00 pm »
We're just looking for that magic balance between over stressed and over built. I think I've hit it a couple of times but it was just out house luck, it really wasn't good planning.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 08:24:30 am »
DC did the caldwell arrive ? (-P
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:55:37 am by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DC

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 11:04:31 am »
No, It hasn't even been shipped yet. Christmas rush they say :(

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2017, 12:24:55 pm »
Not sure if this goes here, but we are talking chromographs.  Sort of had to choose between a Chrono and new boots - the boots won, since I use my feet all the time while hunting!  Boots were on sale about half price, and I had an extra $20 USD club points!  Got out before temptation took over!  Went looking for the chrono. in the Shooting Accessories section, (logical place) - didn't see them, looked twice at that rack, still didn't see them, went to find an "outfitter" to get help.  Got the new kid on the block( dumb looks are still free), he had to go ask a more senior guy, flagged me over, and took me back to where I was - they were hiding in plain sight, in bubble packs, right next to where I looked at something in a box!! Duh!  Been a bear or abig cat, they would have bit me!  Thanked the outfitter for his time, and admitted I had a dumb attack!  At least, I know what I am looking for now, and where to look.  Now just have to get the "piggy bank beer mug full, and maybe they will go on sale by spring.  Have to check that other supplier (Sprtsmn Whse) to see if they have them, closer and often cheaper,
same military discount.
Hawkdancer ;D :P ::) :-[
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2017, 01:23:39 pm »
Just for fun why don't you flight shoot that 370 grain arrow and see how far it will go. About 200 to 215 yards would correlate with your speed. I had a very fast 35# a few weeks ago but mine has about 2 1/2" reflex. I don't have a chrono anymore but it shot a 450 grain arrow over 200 yards so I know it has some speed.

Steve, Is there a way to estimate cast when you know lbs pull and GPP?

Offline Badger

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2017, 01:36:51 pm »
Not really, all bows are different. You can roughly estimate based on speed if you know that.

Offline willie

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2017, 02:45:31 pm »
ok, is there a formula or method to plug in the speed?

Offline Badger

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2017, 03:18:26 pm »
  The speed may vary from 140 fps to 180 fps with the same weight bows. You just have to test them out. For distance vs speed I always figure 170 fps can get 200 yards  + or -. 205 fps can get about 300 yards.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2017, 05:33:05 pm »
DC...Here's my chrono.Could'nt tell ya the brand because I don't have the box it came in any more,but it works great.Had it for quite some time now.Used it a bunch.Got it from an archery supply business.Only use it on sunny days most times for good readings from it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2017, 06:37:26 pm »
thats the same one I have,,, I like it,,

Offline Badger

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2017, 07:15:06 pm »
  I have about 6 of those that don't work anymore and about 4 of the green ones that fold in half. For some reason I don't get much life out of my chronos. I don't shoot them or bang them around, they just quit working right.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2017, 07:53:20 pm »
your energetic field is too much for them,, (-S

Offline willie

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2017, 08:52:16 pm »
I always figure 170 fps can get 200 yards  + or -. 205 fps can get about 300 yards.
thanks Steve. does that speed to distance ratio hold true no matter what the GPP? what happens when you are shooting 5 GPP?