Author Topic: Spine weight  (Read 2099 times)

Offline DC

Spine weight
« on: December 04, 2017, 04:13:26 pm »
Do you guys ever find the the weight on your spiner bends the arrow? What do you do about it, if anything?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Spine weight
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:18:37 pm »
Not permanently, only for the deflection measurement.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 08:14:35 pm »
i have seen it when one of two things occur.
1. the mc is too high
2. very low spined shafts- say less than #20, will sometimes take on a bit of a bend after spining.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:39:33 pm »
   Most dial indicators have a spring which will apply about 8 oz pressure when it is at .500 deflection. That is very significant. The further it is depressed the more pressure it applies.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:30:58 pm »
Too much moisture was my first thought.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 10:24:58 pm »
This particular one is bamboo that's 40#, been dry for 2 or 3 years. My spiner has a lever that put's virtually no pressure on the arrow. Just enough to follow it. Now that you're mentioned a few things I know I've had some low spine arrows bend and I think I've had some wet ones. Down a few posts I posted "Straightening Arrows". I think this is one of those. It's been straightened by hand and the spining weight is just enough to push it back. I'll heat it a bit and lock in the bend tomorrow and see if that's it. Thanks