Author Topic: some new arrows to look at  (Read 8763 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: some new arrows to look at
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 01:46:12 pm »
Fine fine looking arrows, Jeff. Don't "misplace" any of 'em!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 06:38:24 pm »
Wow those are great looking arrows.  Bet they shoot good too...
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 08:05:19 pm »
Good looking set of shoot arrows.Seems like I almost get at least an hour into each of mine from scratch before they are finished and shooting.Fletching and finish I always figure anywhere from 20 to 25 grains extra on mine.The feathers are a constant.It's the amount of finish a person puts on them that'll make that more variable.Your extra weight is probably the cresting added too.Sometime I'll start decorating mine too.At least stain them some anyway.I think there's been a time or two the bone white of them has spooked a deer at times for me but probably not too.
Mine balance 4" ahead of center making them only in the lower teens % wise FOC.From a 30" long arrow.I figure mine cross multiplication wise.4/30 by x/100%,400 divided by 30= 13.3%.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:20:56 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ksnow

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 08:48:36 pm »
Wow, that is an impressive set of arrows. Quite inspirational. I now have a target to strive for. I hope those serve you well.

Kyle

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 09:55:52 pm »
Thanks for the kind compliments.  Here is a picture of my "cresting jig".  Also my homemade arrow wrench and my heat gun that I use for straightening.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 10:03:54 pm »
Good looking set of shoot arrows.Seems like I almost get at least an hour into each of mine from scratch before they are finished and shooting.Fletching and finish I always figure anywhere from 20 to 25 grains extra on mine.The feathers are a constant.It's the amount of finish a person puts on them that'll make that more variable.Your extra weight is probably the cresting added too.Sometime I'll start decorating mine too.At least stain them some anyway.I think there's been a time or two the bone white of them has spooked a deer at times for me but probably not too.
Mine balance 4" ahead of center making them only in the lower teens % wise FOC.From a 30" long arrow.I figure mine cross multiplication wise.4/30 by x/100%,400 divided by 30= 13.3%.

Ha!  that makes mine just 6% FOC.  I could use heavier points to help with that, but then I would need more spine to compensate, which would make for a heavy arrow indeed.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 06:18:37 am »
As long as they fly clean that's the no.1 priority.A friend of mine does the FOC balancing here with carbons which are easier to get higher numbers FOC.He's got his out to almost 30%.Balancing around 6" just back from the tip.He swears by it for helping with penetration and I really think he's right.Most times the best you can hope for on wooden arrows would maybe be into the high teens or low 20's and that would be full length tapering with it being footed with a heavy tip too.
These arrows can be as much work to be as a person wants to put on them for different uses.For target shooting as long as they fly clean that's no.1.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 09:02:23 am »
Wow. Another set of beautiful arrows Jeff.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 12:09:18 pm »
Mike!  nice to see you.  I haven't seen you on here for a while.  What have you been up to?  Those arrows I sent you still working?

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 12:38:34 pm »
Hi Jeff. I haven't had much time for anything archery related lately. I started a new job, sold out house, lived with my mother in law for 5 weeks and then moved into a new house. Then I had some work to do in our new house and still have more to do. I hope to have a new work area built in my garage sometime soon to get back to building bows and arrows.

Unfortunately with all that is going on, the bow and arrows that you built didn't make it into the woods. They defiantly will next year though. All these changes will give me more free time in the future. It looks like you are keeping busy with bows and arrows. I really like the veterans day bow you made.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:26:44 pm by Swampman »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 06:07:06 pm »
Sounds really familiar.  All last year my job was killing me, and all my spare energy was going into finishing a garage.  Now the Garage is finished, some of my responsibilities at work have lessened, and I am starting to have a little more time.  Living with the in-laws is always a challenge, even when the situation is really good.  You are going to love having the workshop back up and running.

Really good to hear from you. Keep at it.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 08:16:31 pm »
Those are some beauties.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 06:30:33 am »
Wow missed these. Those are some really nice arrows Jeff. I just love the look of really well made Red Osier arrow and those are some beauties. Ed I know that I've had the bone white catch the eyes of a nervous doe before. I really like its look for target arrows but will dull it down for hunting from now on. Those look like some real good shooters Jeff. Keep shooting and that bullseye will end up punched right out of your target.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stoner

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 01:24:12 pm »
I really like the crest design on those arrows. But I really like the celtic knotwork on the quiver. Have done quite a bit of that in stone. John

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2017, 12:59:45 am »
That quiver was a lot of fun to make. I like how it fits and looks too. I like the look of old Celtic art and if you are doing it in stone, I am very impressed.