Author Topic: Tribute to an old king  (Read 2893 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Tribute to an old king
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:11:52 am »
Here's a self done tribute to a deer harvested over here.Kind of unique.I call him the unicorn buck.Quite the mass on this buck.Done on an oak burl.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Tribute to an old king
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:22:38 am »
More like triceratops Ed. I don't have a picture but there was a buck one of my buddies got that looks just like that. Nice rack with a third antler coming out of a completely different spot in the skull. In fact it's very similar location to the tribute you just posted.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:53:24 am »
I think I see a little glue, did you also start Jackalopes >:D >:D
I have never seen that before. Awesome. :-D :-D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:27:35 am »
Gnarly rack, bet he had a heck of a time rubbing that.  Every now and then, a mules shows up with an atypical rack.  There was a 53 pointer hanging in a place in LaPorte, until it burned down.  Could be genetic, or a bad rub (or a jackalope as Zuma mentioned).  Makes good conversation and a nice mount, in any case.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:59:31 am »
I really dig the mount Ed. Nothing too too fancy, just enough to show off the beauty and uniqueness of the deer.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:28:31 pm »
Thanks fellas....This is really just a small example of what some racks can look like.This one was here that's all.There's opinions on why this happens.Some say genetics or possibly nuitrtion.I'm sure there is someone out there that has more insight to this sort of thing than me.
BowEd
Ed

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:52 pm »
I bet he scared the you-know-what out of many a little buck in his day!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:09:06 pm »
It is interesting that the odd point looks like it belongs exactly
where the main beam is missing one. A very cool wall hanger. 8)
DNA info tells where and what to build in the womb and beyond.
Seems it had the what right and the where wrong, ???
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 06:46:26 am »
  Looks like the old guy was equipped with an eye puncher...That would back them off quick...
                                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 07:05:07 am »
Yes I would imagine he would have his way most times in a pushing match....lol,but even the big ones get injured at times.I see bucks limping around here occasionally through the rutting time.
I'm of the opinion that this guy would have something like this rack probably every year with that extra rosette and spike.Could be wrong though.You'll see even though he's a nontypical the points still do match up numbers wise on each side.I brain tanned a big different buck a while back that was probably of the same age as this one.He had all kinds of poke hole scars on his neck and shoulders.Could be those two fought each other a time or two too.
The mass on him is quite a bit for a whitetail 9 to 10 point rack.Over 6" around the rosette area.Probably at least a 5 to 7 year old animal.I never did any teeth evaluation though.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:10:11 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 04:24:33 am »
Nice deer and very nice job on the mount, very cool.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 07:20:41 am »
That's cool. Are those his hooves at the bottom? I've. Ever seen that done before. I keep hooves too, just never used them for anything. Nice work. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 09:22:59 am »
I tried to use all available parts to display on this old boy.Many times I've seen hollow deer hooves and dew claws used as wind chime type displays hanging from the apex of poles from above in teepees.They make a nice noise hollow clunking type noise of different tones when the wind blows on them.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 10:32:11 am »
I have skinned elk hooves. I researched what to do with them.
Some boil them and hammer slightly curved and make breast plates.
Of course glue is an option, I suppose. Knife handles from the fore legs.
Tails are easy to cure and tons of things can be done with them. :-D )P(
Zuma

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 06:20:59 am »
I've never heard of hoof glue really with hooves being made of keratin.Breast plates out of hair bone is a lot of work.Tails I've never had much use for.I have made pouches out of deer fore leg skins.Fore leg bone knife handles too.Elk could be used too I imagine.The list of useful things are endless it seems.No research really.Just tanned/carved/or sanded them and made use of them.
Some more pics but not actual parts from the deer posted.All tributes really too to the useful gifts these deer can give us.
I like seeing the different things people come up with.

BowEd
Ed