Author Topic: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!  (Read 7641 times)

Offline Zuma

Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 10:31:53 am »
 This reminds me of Pat and Mike. They were making some repairs to the Statue of Liberty.
Pat said " You know this hand holding the book is only 11 and 7/8" long?" Mike said,
 " No, why is that?" Pat said " Well if it was just one more 1/8 inch it would be a foot".
 )-w( Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 03:47:27 pm »
1800' of gravel driveway and some of it never sees the sunshine.
That's good most times Pat.Your driveway is completely out of the wind then and it won't drift too bad.If you have quite an incline along the way on your driveway better take it easy. I'm sure from precipitation records of the past in your area that it was probably broke for the same date.Looks like wet sticky type snow or will be that way after a day or so.Get hard as it refreezes and thaws some.
I enjoy my privacy too.I've got a 2500 foot long driveway here but on a ridge so most times it does blow fairly clean.That all depends on the type of snow that we get of course.The wet sticky kind does not blow away.I have a tractor with chains here though too so I never ever get too worried about the snow much.Sometimes we get enough snow it's a part time job moving it since I keep the neighbors driveway open too.That's another 1/4 mile.
The sooner it is removed though the sooner it gets dry again....lol.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:03:43 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 05:18:06 pm »
Ed, the last half of our driveway goes up about 150" in elevation but that was the first place to thaw, south facing. The bottom half doesn't see the sun. A few years ago when it snowed all winter it was April before the snow was gone from that area.
Once we hit the state road it is usually cleared of snow but with warmer days the snow melts and black ice is the problem. We go up and down a few ridges to get the 10 miles to town. I don't have a tractor but our 4WD Isuzu Trooper will usually be enough. If not, I go back home. Not worth wrecking our vehicles.
We get lots of rain here but not much snow, already over 85" of rain this year. We are in the shadow of the Blue Ridge so we have to get frigid air over the mountains and moisture up from the Gulf of Mexico, both hitting just right before we get snow. Snow never comes over the Mountains. We actually have an ideal climate here with 4 distinct seasons, beautiful springs and falls with moderate winters and summers. We've never had AC in our house for the 28 years we've lived here.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 06:24:15 pm »
Well it's finally snowing here in upstate NY. We've got about 3" but it's supposed to fall at 1-2" per hour until tomorrow night. I'm with Pearly and BJ, northerner to the core. My kids are lovin' it. Sure hope it stays through the holidays. Makes it magical for the youngins.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 06:55:21 pm »
We got a few flurries but that was it, look like it split us, they got it below us and above us, I like it fine and will really enjoy it if we get any this year since I don't have to drive in it and worry about 150 company vehicles out on the roads that I have to be sure they all get back in. ;)  Beautiful picture Pat. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 09:26:48 pm »
Yeah Pappy, when you don't have to deal with work it makes it way more fun and beautiful.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 09:44:52 am »
I'm starting to enjoy that feeling, Pappy. Going on month number two off work and still have
January to go.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JEB

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 10:40:28 am »
We have 10" on the ground BUT it is starting to sleet this morning.  Makes it fun for travel. It is just part of the experience.  Been dealing with this crap for 67 years.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 09:47:33 pm »
Once it is gone Pat, see if you can get to SC. Steve is going to Chris' after Christmas and I am too. Season ends Jan. 1.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2017, 05:46:10 am »
Got some falling right now, partially obscuring my view of the tower downtown.

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2017, 08:20:02 am »
Eddie our daughter will be here then but I'll see what I can do. When are you going.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 11:42:54 am »
We are in a long dry spell as far as snow is concerned!  Denver hasn't had snow since early October, 63 or 64 days and nothing in sight for another week at least.  69 days is the record snow season stretch without snow, may break that.  However, the airport is about 30 miles from the mountains out on the flatland.  Wind, we have had!  Upwards of 60 mph in the region, closed the Interstate several times, and flipped some 18 wheelers a couple times.  Send a bit of snow, please!
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Zuma

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2017, 02:56:11 am »
Dancer, In my mind I am sending you every flake with in a 1K circle of me,
And I'll add in all the ice and fog just to make you content. ;D
Zuma.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline DC

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2017, 11:09:00 am »
Dancer, In my mind I am sending you every flake with in a 1K circle of me,
And I'll add in all the ice and fog just to make you content. ;D
Zuma.
I would kill to know how to do that. Move the snow from the driveway to the lawn in a split second. Use the force ;D

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2017, 06:58:05 pm »
We have tons of snow, it just happens we have a ski resort upwind that makes it own snow. We get plenty around our house but you travel 30 yards and there's nothing!