Author Topic: My first hazel bow  (Read 7040 times)

Offline Bristolbadger

Re: My first hazel bow
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 11:18:16 am »
Yep good advice, it's just not feeling like it could go the distance yet. Have been excersing it in between workings and paying attention to stresses and weak points, think it's at around 28lb at 17" in the picks at the mo.
Can see the benefit of vids allowing the close review of the arc, it would help if I had the experience of shooting a bow with the same figures as not really done much archery apart from the odd occasion with basic composite things.  :BB Don't really mind what I end up with as long as I can shoot a few arrows from it... and I hope that happens as I've just ordered a few arrows for £30. Pressures on then lol!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 01:59:36 pm »
That equates to about 46# at 28" ...
It's always good to have a target weight, it brings some order and discipline to the process. Not that one can always hit the mark but plus or minus 5# isn't bad :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 02:35:55 pm »
That equates to about 46# at 28" ...

the last 5 lbs can go away very quick, with just a few scrapes and some sanding.  surprisingly quick if it is your first

Offline Bristolbadger

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 11:13:09 am »
Well.... Better late than never I guess!
Ended up finishing my first bow and was really please with the results. The whole family has used it throughout the summer on and off... so much so that I've just finished a yew bow for my 10 year old son, that's looking and shooting sweetly (will post some pics if anyone sees this dead thread!)
Didn't quite end up at 40 lost the bottle around 43 at 26. Thanks for all the help guys, this site is invaluable 😎
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:37:09 am by Bristolbadger »

Offline Bristolbadger

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 11:35:08 am »
A couple more, better resolution pics :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 11:37:48 am »

second, you have left on the bark. The bark will not stay on a hazel bow, when it dries out it will crack and split of with a loud tick. Be prepared.

Oy, Del, mate!  When did you build that hazel you gave me down in Tennessee years ago?  You know, the one I called the "baked potato bow" because the bark on the back looks like the skin crispy skin of a baked white potato!  It still has bark on it, still shoots nicely, too!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.