Author Topic: Reducing draw weight on Hickory Backed Hickory ELB?  (Read 3423 times)

Offline barebo

Reducing draw weight on Hickory Backed Hickory ELB?
« on: December 10, 2017, 12:38:22 pm »
Haven't made a bow since last January, and winter here in Central NY State has started so I decided to try what I know isn't the best combination for an ELB, but worth a try.
I made a 1/4" edge grain backing strip - cut out on my bandsaw that came out pretty nice, and glued it up to a nice 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" knot free hickory board with TB3.
I've reduced the backing to about 3/16" or so, and the limbs are only an inch wide and the belly is in the classic "D" profile, and tapers from 3/4" to just over 3/8" at the tips.
Have it bending evenly to low brace but haven't put a string on it yet. I don't want to induce any more set than it wants to take, and I can tell it needs to come down to reach my target of 42 -45#.
It's 72" NTN. I've mildly trapped the back.

How do you reduce weight on these ELB's? I have made close to 70 flat bows and longbows from staves and bamboo backed Ipe bows, etc, but this one is a whole new deal for me!!

I know I don't post much lately, but don't shave as much wood as I used to, and got the itch for a nice 3-D bow for next year.

Thanks for your input - I know there are some top notch bowyers here!!!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Reducing draw weight on Hickory Backed Hickory ELB?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 01:05:48 pm »
Round the corners, take a little off the belly.
Really need to see the tiller, as a little extra thickness off near the grip can let the tips come back a good bit more.
E.G, a 1/8" movement 6" from the grip becomes 1" at the tip.
This is Hickory backed Hickory right ?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 02:17:19 pm »
With a 1/4" backing strip you can reduce that by half and still have plenty of backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline barebo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 02:51:03 pm »
I've just reduced the backing to close to 1/8". Lower limb is keeping the straight profile and upper is taking a slight set.

Not bending much near the grip, so that is the next place to remove material. Corners are rounded - belly is the classic ELB - D shape.

This Hickory is tough stuff but not great in compression.

Do I need photobucket for pics or can I copy and paste from my photos? I'd like to include a pic or 2.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 03:21:02 pm »
  Barebow, if you are building a 45# bow you should be pulling it on the long string to 45# once you get the limbs bending evenly. If your long string is hanging at about the 6" mark with your scale on it then it will read about the same thing if it were braced. In your case I would get it to 45# at about 24" on the long string then brace it. If it is taking too much set you need to find stiff areas that you can get bending more.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 04:31:09 pm »
If it is already taking set you are pulling past 45#. At this stage you should hardly be able to pull it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline barebo

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 06:41:05 pm »
Maybe set was the wrong term - it had just over an inch of reflex and now it's completely gone in the upper limb.

I'm hesitant to thin the backing more, and can't believe how this is hanging on to it's poundage given that the limbs are narrow and not very thick in cross section.

I don't want to flatten the belly or there goes my ELB and it just is another flat longbow.

Should I increase the angle of the D belly - less round or simply thinner?  I wish I could get you some pics!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 09:17:58 pm »
Simply put, just keep removing wood until it bends how you want it.
If it is getting too flat, make it more narrow.
If you want a rounded D cross section longbow, a hardwood reflexed stave
may not be the best choice.

Offline barebo

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 05:32:16 pm »
Removed a Lot of material - got it braced! Had to really downsize pic but the tiller is actually better than is appears - just under 1/4" positive tiller.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 05:36:19 pm »
  That is not an elb it is an American longbow. Might have caused some confusion in your answers

Offline barebo

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 05:56:14 pm »
I guess what defines it as an American longbow is the grip? The limbs have the narrow "D" profile for the entire length right up to the grip.

I've made longbows with flat bellies and a riser of sorts from staves or slats with bamboo backing, but never attempted the narrow fully radiused  belly that the ELB has.

I guess then that the best I can call this is some sort of hybrid?.

I had a devil of a time trying to re-size pics to post. I'd like to show the limb detail to clarify what I was after.

Sorry for the confusion - I'm going to stick to flatbows.

Offline barebo

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 06:03:35 pm »
Crappy pic, but the bottom dark area is the handle of my draw knife - the top lighter color is mid limb. Very narrow and deep.
What am I missing style wise? I've seen other ELB's with larger grips.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 06:19:28 pm »
      The reason an elb has a narrow deep profile is because it has a bending handle and does not have to bend in nearly the same tight radius as a stiff handles bow. We don't just select a limb cross section and go with it. The cross section reflects what the entire profile of the bow is. Stiff handled bows should be wider and flatter to avoid taking set.

Offline barebo

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 04:42:01 am »
Thank you for setting me straight on that Badger. This did take just over an inch of set, but I guess for me it was an "experiment" to see if I could make that style of limb.

I have another sister piece of that same Hickory that will have a full compass bend in the handle profile.

Gosh.............I feel like I got busted by the "Bow Police" :'(

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 04:52:03 am »
LOL.. step away from the bow... keep your hands where we can see them :)

You could rasp off that handle and turn it into an ELB, that would loose you some draw weight.
For a small fee I can send you an English Longbow certificate of authenticity  >:D ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.