Author Topic: Loading conicals?  (Read 12496 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Loading conicals?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 07:35:16 am »
Thanks fellas! Thats some great info!
Gifford,  Ill probably still shoot the patched round balls.  They shoot way to good for me.  But I think I will just experiment some with the conicals.  Oh yeah,  the conicals are flat based.

I have some tallo and beeswax made up.  I think I will try to use that as a lube.  Thoughts on that?
That's what I use for lube too Pat.For muzzle loader hunting I make quick loads out of paper tube wrapped around a 1/2" dowel.Dip the ball in the lube.The paper is the patch.That's all I'll carry with me besides some old underwear strip I use as a spit patch in between shots if needed and the short starter for the ball.My barrel shoots great that way.I like to travel light.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 09:56:56 am »
Thanks Ed! I will see if I can make up some of those paper quick loaders and see how they work for me.  Ive seen them and talked to my uncle,  who builds black powder rifles, about them.  He said, once you get them figured out they are pretty slick to use. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 10:18:36 am »
The maxi bullet was designed for the T/C Hawken and its close relatives.  Extremely accurate out to about 150 yards according to the PR.  The "Plains" and "Buffalo" bullets are also designed for the 1:48 twist rifles.  You just have to find the load your rifle likes, and pamper it.  Our resident BP gunsmith recommend the Buffalo bullet and 85 hrs 3f in the .50 cal.  He has a lot of pins on the elk kill map, and is a heck of a lot better shot than I am.  That load does pinch both ways, though!  You just have to see what works for you.  Have a good hunt!  Btw, how many seasons are there in MO now, and how many can you hunt?
Hawkdancer

Thanks Hawk. 
In Missouri you have bow season from September 15 to January 15. It is closed during firearm Season for 10 days during November.  Which you can use your bow in as long as you have a firearm tag and wear your orange.  There is an early and late youth season one before firearm season and one after. Then there is an anterless only season the first part of December. Normally for about 3 days.  Which is for firearms.  They are always moving that hunt around.  Then this year we have alternative methods season  for 10 days starting the 23rd of December.  Which you can use everything except a high powdered rifle and a hand grenade.  But a black powder rifle is legal to use during any of the other gun seasons. Then you have hundreds of different special draw hunts some on state parks and some on conservation areas.  Way to many to list.  From bow to gun and everything in between.  There is more to it but thats a summer.  Oh,  and tags are cheap as well.  $19 for bow,  2 deer and 2 turkeys.  $17 for rifle any deer tag and $7 for an anterless only tags.  You can kill only 2 bucks,  either both with your bow one before rifle season and one after.  Or one with your rifle and one with your bow.  But you can only kill one buck with any type of fire arm. 
I could probably just keep going,  lol.  :-M :-D (SH) :-D

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 10:49:04 am »
Pat....After you make a 1/2" maybe 6" long paper tube glued on the seam with titebond tie the end shut with a thin cotton string.Insert your ball down tight.Tie another string then above that tight.Dip ball inside paper tube into your lube.That leaves you a tube on top to pour your amount of powder in.Leave enough paper left to fold over and tape it shut with making tape.Identify the amount with a pen on the quick load.
To use you rip open the masking tape.Pour your powder down the barrel.Rip off extra paper if neccessary above ball.No need for a patch knife on any of this.Short start it if neccessary.Ram the ball home seated well above the powder and after capping your ready to shoot again that fast.The lubed paper is the patch.My capper is on a leather string hanging from around my neck.
I've shot a double or two of deer standing in one place as quick as this can be done.Shooting the old doe first then the dumb founded yearling.A pic of quick loads.
BowEd
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 04:05:02 pm »
Thats cool Ed! So the patch works on the side of the ball? The ball actually sits right against the powder? What kind of paper do you use?
I think im going to make some of those!

Patrick

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 04:52:47 pm »
I just use regular old typing paper but I'm sure other types will work too.The paper tube is cinch tied at one end first.Then the ball is inserted.You can use the 1/2" dowel to set it in good.That's for a .52 cal.ball so it fits tight.Then it is cinch tied above the ball good.Then it is dipped into your liquid lube.Left to cool and harden.
The ball sits seated tight inside the lubed paper patch and seated tight on top of your powder even with the tied off end of string beneath it.The lubed paper is your patch.They fly out of my rifle just as accurate as a pillow tick patch.
Those are my quick loads for hunting.I'm still one to use regular old black powder yet.
BowEd
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 03:36:42 am »
I got you now Ed.  For some reason I was thinking i had to tear off both sides of the ball.  Im going to make some and shoot them and see how they do.  Thanks for the info bud!

Patrick

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 07:57:28 am »
If it could work back in the civil war days there's no reason it can't work now.
BowEd
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 11:25:17 am »
Absolutely true!

Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 04:42:11 pm »
Well I made up some of those quick loads.  I think I about have it figured out. I shot a few of those REAL conicals.  No wad and they shoot all over.  I put a lubercated felt wad in and it was better.  I decided to up the charge to 90 grains and I shot a 2 in group at a hundred yards.  But my round balls are more accurat.  But at least I know that if I need to shoot them,  say at bigger game like elk,  they will be pretty accurat. 
Here is a pic of my quick loaders.  They shoot just like my patched round ball.  Just like you said Ed! Thanks for the help!

Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 10:38:22 pm »
Sorry forgot the picture. Lol

Patrick

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 05:30:21 am »
Pat....Looks good!!!Is there lube on those?A 2" group @ 100 yards is more than good enough.A round ball will knock down an elk in the boiler too.You can be assured of that!!!
I used to target shoot my .54 Johnny Brown Hawken all the time at various different rendezvous match shoots I went to.Good cheap way to target shoot all afternoon.Used to have it figured out using more or less powder to adjust my elevation hits at various different ranges.Never needed to shoot farther than 100 yards yet though.Even while hunting.A 4" group of 5 shots @ 100 yards will do the job too.I put a fine silver front blade on the front of the barrel on my gun.I liked it for pin pointing type shots.Use the same gun even for squirrels leaving all the meat undamaged.Really like this gun.
Good luck putting a deer in the fridge with yours.Looks like your ready.
BowEd
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 08:29:54 am »
Thanks Ed,  yes there is lube on them.  I used some modern bore butter so I could test them out.  I think I need to add some more.  But now that I have shot them I made up 10 more.  I dipped those im my talo and beeswax mix. 
Can't garonte that I will get to use them in the woods but I at least know that I can load one pretty dang quick! Thanks for the help everyone!

Patrick

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 06:49:09 pm »
Any one try those in a flintlock?  Is the paper just one layer?  Got some high grade thesis bond looking for something to do.  Have to find some thin cotton string though.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 07:26:19 am »
I done a little looking online after Ed mentioned it. What I came up with was a trapezoid that is 5.5 in long by 5 inches high on one end and angled to 3 inches on the other end.  I rolled it with the 5.5in length on the bottom.  I once I got it rolled and glued on the seam I incerted the ball to where it would be on the 5in high end of the tube.  I shoot a. 490 round ball, I was able to load 3 shots easily I probably could have done a few more but I swabed it after 3 shots.  I cut paper on target with a patched round ball and the accuracy was no different wit the paper quick loaders. 

Patrick