Author Topic: Loading conicals?  (Read 12494 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Loading conicals?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2017, 07:15:13 am »
Pat...I see.I did'nt know the process was posted on the internet.Should of known.A rendezvous buddy of mine showed me way back in the early eighties about these loads.I just cut out a squared piece of paper and call it good enough.Hunted with them since but target shot at rendezvous with the normal powder horn and bag yet with all the tools and measure in there.
The use of them just lightens the load some.Although I do like taking my nipple wrench/capper with yet and a couple extra quick loads in my pocket.Always like to be prepared in case.
Hawk...It's just 1 layer of lubed paper around the ball.That's all that's necessary.Should work fine in your barrel too.Many times regular old typing paper can be .010 thousands thick.Just the same as a pillow tick patch.I use bees wax and deer tallow mix.
The thing I like too is that you can write on it to show the load that's in it.The old smoke pole sure makes deer hunting waaaaay easier than self bow hunting for sure for me anyway.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:17:11 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2017, 11:52:53 am »
What ratio of beeswax to tallow?  Got beeswax, have to tender out some tallow?  What's the best way to do that?  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2017, 12:47:50 pm »
Hawk,  just cook the deer fat low and slower.  Just let it melt,  stir it ever so offten.  Once its melted down strain it with a wire mesh colender or some cheese cloth. Then just melt in some beeswax and mix then let it cool.  See if it's the consistency you are looking for.  If not just melt and mix again.  It doesn't take as much beeswax as you would think.  But you can mix more for other applications. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 08:24:37 am »
If anybody needs bees wax.I've got a bunch.We've got bee hives here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2017, 09:48:44 am »
I still have a large chunk here Ed but I will remember that.  Im always using it for something.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2017, 01:54:05 pm »
Butcher, baker, candlestick maker, brewer, and would be bowyer, too!  Always looking for more beeswax for function candles for lanterns
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry