Author Topic: Bending the Tropics - Bulletwood  (Read 1984 times)

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
Bending the Tropics - Bulletwood
« on: June 05, 2019, 02:48:00 pm »
Hey all,

As we know, it's common knowledge that many of the dense tropical woods don't respond well to steaming (generally). Ipe is the usual wood that jumps to mind in this case.

I've received very conflicting reports on Bulletwood over the years, however. So I thought I'd try bending it into as many different shapes as possible, using different thicknesses, curves, and heating methods. The goal was to hopefully come to a more definitive answer that might be of use to someone else here. Here are my notes:

I've found that despite the tropical name it carries, bulletwood certainly does respond to both dry heat and steaming. In fact, it takes a bend very well.

It seems to respond better to dry heat.

I'd say it holds a bend certainly as well as elm.

Unlike other woods though, it seems to have a huge desire to lift splinters on the outside of the bend. It's definitely one that could make use of a metal strap to keep them down.

Because it is so strong, you can keep your tips small without worrying about the bend pulling out.

It doesn't seem to like repeated heating (compared with other woods). I've found that repeated dry heating in particular makes it become more brittle than you'd expect versus other species.

It takes a remarkably short time to reach a state where you can unclamp it. In some cases I left steam bend curves clamped for under an hour, and they held nicely.

That said, it does tend to require a lot of overbending. Fortunately that's not a problem, because it's strong enough to handle it.

Interestingly, I noticed that it heats up very quickly, and begins to bend faster than many other woods, and then sort of plateaus. Don't force it, though, because it is merciless if not hot enough, and WILL snap.

Finally, long steaming seems to affect the colour pigments in a way I haven't seen with other woods. It almost turns the wood a grey colour that doesn't seem to want to recover as it dries and regains correct moisture.

I don't know if anyone will find this useful, but it's the kind of stuff I like to be aware of - so I thought I'd share.

Here's a little bulletwood bow that I made a while back. It unfortunately snapped, but not in any way due to bending. There was an almost invisible crack in the limb, and obviously the sinew didn't cover it sufficiently. All curves done with dry heat by hand.

Enjoy!

Matt.
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
Re: Bending the Tropics - Bulletwood
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 02:50:55 pm »
thanks, haha lot of work went into that! sweet wee bow too!

Offline 0ri9ine11

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 03:09:35 pm »
Thanks for your detailed report!
I didn't know about the property of Ipé and tried to bend 20 and 16cm long and 1cm thick pieces for a recurved glued on handle... didnt move a single bit even after soaking for days and steaming for hours. Interesting to know that bulletwood works better, thanks again!

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 07:25:12 pm »
 I have found it to be true and mentioned that on here many years back.  Interestingly some reports of Ipe mention it bending well too.  I wonder if that is possible when it is green.

Offline MattZA

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 11:36:29 pm »
Yea Pat, it was actually your original report on here that got me trying to bend it. You can certainly claim full credit for the majority of the post here ;D

I would definitely recommend that any readers of this post look for some of the witchcraft that PatM has done with the stuff. Man's got magical powers.

I just wanted to refresh the post, since I've seen an increase in people trying bulletwood recently.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 08:19:12 am »
  Bulletwood has been a favorite of mine over the years. I have never been able to get more than moderate curves out of it with dry heat, maybe i need more heat

Offline MattZA

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 11:26:36 am »
Badger I actually read your post a while ago where you said you prefer it to Osage. I doubt I'll ever be lucky enough to even see an Osage stave down here in SA. I was considering asking if anyone is selling even a simple Osage selfbow, just so I can get a feel for it.

I've found bulletwood bends well with serious heat (almost heat treating temperature). There are some rare boards that actually show a very distinct grain. They seem to bend better than the usual colour and texture.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 11:53:34 am »
Badger I actually read your post a while ago where you said you prefer it to Osage. I doubt I'll ever be lucky enough to even see an Osage stave down here in SA. I was considering asking if anyone is selling even a simple Osage selfbow, just so I can get a feel for it.

I've found bulletwood bends well with serious heat (almost heat treating temperature). There are some rare boards that actually show a very distinct grain. They seem to bend better than the usual colour and texture.

The last batch I had I did not do so well with, all of it took a bit too much set. I made a bad assumprion that it was dry, talking to Allen Case he informed me that much of it coming over here is still wet and it takes forever to dry.

Offline MattZA

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 02:14:13 pm »
Ah yea I can see how wet bulletwood would take some horrible set. I'm fortunate that Johannesburg is extremely dry. I think the current humidity is around 30%. Therefore the odds of finding wet boards is low.

Its my go-to wood, since it's accessible everywhere. I get it in 12' x 3 3/4" x 3/4" boards. Each one costs me around $12 (using an exchange rate estimate).

It takes very little set if it's very dry. Although that said, I've had a few snap on me when they're extremely dry (6% MC)

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 05:21:57 pm »
I thought I had a lifetime supply of the stuff when a lumberyard nearby started selling it for decking.  Piles of mostly perfect stuff.  And then it was all gone and never re-stocked.

Offline MattZA

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 09:23:16 pm »
Pat, maybe my lumberyard stole the contract from yours ;)

I'm very lucky to have three suppliers of massa decking within 5 miles of my front door.

There's also another tropical wood board called Garapa (Apuleia leiocarpa) available in abundance. Have you ever heard of it? I used it for my second bow attempt, so I can't really use that as a standard. Ignorance on my part meant it had dreadful grain runoff and I attempted it unbacked. It cracked at the fade at 55#, and then held together when I reduced it to around 40#.