Author Topic: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...now boo backed...now w/ osage belly  (Read 31223 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...continues
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2018, 11:18:27 pm »
Thanks   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2018, 06:31:08 am »
That boo will be fine and will probably surprise you about the draw weight. It has quite a crown on it and my experience is that that always adds way more draw weight.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2018, 12:34:07 pm »
Pat, i have no idea if this will help, but it's information nonetheless. About three years ago i wanted to make a lemonwood bow but had no luck sourcing it. So, i bought a York lemonwood bow off craigslist and backed it with boo. The York stamping said FB 56 38. Which in their vernacular meant the bow is backed with fiber (which i removed) and is 5’ 6” long pulling 38#. I glued the boo with TBIII with no reflex. The boo was a tapered piece from Echo. That bow was pulling every bit of 90lbs after glue up. I scraped carefully for hours and got it down to about 60#. It had some set as all of the old York bows did and it came out kind of whip ended, but it's pretty fast. However it'll knock your fillings out with hand shock. It's the first bow on the right. My nephew shot it for two years and it held up to his 19 year old attempts to shoot it as fast as he could until he cherry picked a faster red oak backed hickory bow off my rack. I make the cherry pickers trade in so i still have it.

I doubt you'll have a problem hitting your target weight.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:37:11 pm by hoosierf »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...now boo backed.
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2018, 10:20:15 am »
Well, I finally got around to backing this lemonwood with the boo backing strip. I basically saw it and decided to glue it up. I used the same method as I did with the hickory backing and used the Weldwood Plastic Resin. After the glue cured out I sanded the sides and started tillering. You can see from the pics the glue up was sorta uneven but it is what it is.
 This boo backing glue up came out surprisingly strong so I have plenty of wood to get the tiller even. Here are a few pics where I stand now...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:00:12 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2018, 11:19:33 am »
I wish you luck on this go-round, Pat. My maple backed lemonwood popped out on me. Weirdest thing ever, the backer cracked the long way. I doubt it gets a second shot with me. I shot the bow for two weeks. Then decided it was time to seal it up. I shot it one more time and heard that crack open up. Game over.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2018, 12:58:54 pm »
I had really good luck with the first lemonwood(hickory backed) I made. I donated it to the Classic and Cipriano sent $1 with someone and won it. That's the one I made the tube quiver and added the old Bear arrows you gave me. I guess it's still OK but haven't heard from Cipriano in a coons age.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...now boo backed
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2018, 02:13:13 pm »
I've got her shooting and she shoots very well. She's 68"t/t and is pulling about 50#@26". You can see that one limb held the reflex while the other didn't. I made that the bottom limb. I still have to add the Tru-Oil finish, floppy rest and handle wrap but I'm happy with how she turned out. I'll add a full draw pic later when I can get Marcia to take one. Here are a few pics...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2018, 02:20:15 pm »
Looking good Pat! 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2018, 11:49:08 am »
FRETS!!!    >:(  :'(

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2018, 01:20:06 pm »
Burn it!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2018, 07:23:28 pm »
So many things can go wrong when making a bow! It drives me nuts sometimes.  >:( It's a miracle when one really stands the test of time. I hate frets. You've put a lot into this one. If you burn it, dance naked around the fire or something.  (=)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Morgan

« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2018, 09:27:19 pm »
Dang pat. That’s a shame, that stick has given you some grief.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2018, 10:06:50 pm »
I have to take the blame for this. I didn't check the tiller of the belly before glue up and came out with uneven reflex. Then overcompensated the re-tiller trying to even it up. I was almost there...and she shot so well. I put about 30 or so arrows through her in the last few days.   NEXT!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2019, 06:37:07 pm »
Well, I giving this bow another try. Today I ground down the lemonwood belly to about 1/8" and add osage slats. I was going to use Weldwood Plastic Resin like before but it had apparently got some moisture and was a block. I busted it up bet couldn't get all the minute lumps out so I used TBIII instead. I put her in the hotbox for about 45 minutes, cut the heat off but left the fan run for a few hours. I'll unwrap her tomorrow. Not sure what to expect because I kind of rushed this process too.  Stay tuned!

Offline Badger

« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2019, 09:59:32 am »
  I have found lemonwood prone to fretting. I wouldn't feel too bad about it Pat.