Author Topic: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...now boo backed...now w/ osage belly  (Read 30978 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I decided to start another hickory backed lemonwood ALB and figured I might as well do a build along. I got the lemonwood stave(3/4x2x72) from a member from West Jefferson, NC. but can't recall his name and he hasn't been on for a while.
 Anyway, she will be 68"n/n, 1 1/2" at the widest point and out 12" before tapering to 1" at the tips for now. I also am leaving the handle area full width for now. The tips will end up at about 3/8" at the string nocks but it will be after low brace time before I reduce the tips and handle.
  Like before, this bow will take me a while to complete, especially with the backing glue up. I will add a bit of reflex at glue up.
Here are a few pics of the start.

...the stave with the outline drawn out...

...after she's been cut out...

...handle layout after the bow was cut out(handle will be cut out later)...

...bow outline traced on the backing strip but not cut out yet...

...handle area of the backing traced out...

The lemonwood stave and backing were taped together for shipping. It's been a few years since I got this so when I separated the two today I was surprised with this coloration and pattern on one side of the backing strip. I don't know if it happened while the two were taped together or if the sender did it as a surprise but whichever it was, I like it and will try to preserve it although I will have to sand it smooth. I guess we'll see.

Anyway, I'll keep y'all posted as I work along with pics of each process but please be patient.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:19:08 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...the start!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 04:28:05 pm »
Very nice Pat I will be watching I always wondered about lemonwood ,I see them in the antique shops some times on old bows !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 05:37:44 pm »
Definitely add reflex Pat. Lemonwood is good but it can take a bit of set when glued up straight.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 05:52:43 pm »
I built one a few years ago as a donation to the raffle table at the Tenn Classic. I think Cipriano won it with 1 ticket someone picked up for him.
 I liked the way lemonwood works and with 3" to 4" of reflex of added reflex added over 68" I think that one settled in straight or with a little reflex.  This will be only the 2nd lemonwood bows I've built and both are hickory backed ALBs. Kind of nostalgic of the 40s.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 07:54:00 pm »
I'm 100% tuned in!  (-P
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:57:50 pm »
awesome!!!!!

i just returned from visiting family in cuba... spent 5 days there... talked to my father in law who is a carpenter and we discussed lemonwood... *(as it's supposedly only grown in cuba and a couple places in south america)... the problem???  i don't know the spanish name for lemonwood *(no it's not madera de limon.. limon is a lime).... supposedly the spanish name is "degame" but he didn't know it and had never heard of it...

i will find out the local name for it and next time i'm there *(april ish) i will source me some and band saw it into 36" lengths and bring it back...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline Hamish

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 01:17:02 am »
It would be interesting to see if Cuban lemonwood is better than other varieties from South America.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 02:34:01 am »
I shall be following this thread with great interest Pat as I've got a nice Lemonwood stave I've been meaning to make a classic backed ALB from. It'll be a while until I get down to it too so I'll be able to sit back and enjoy watching your build progress!  (-P
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 03:53:10 am »
Look forward to watching this one Pat.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 06:03:02 am »
Yes! I love buildalongs! Reading one made me start building my own bows three years ago!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 06:31:32 am »
Good on you Pat. We need some new build along's with all the photos gone from or old ones. I'll be watching and don't forget to take lots of pictures.  (-P
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 07:03:00 am »
Nice timely option to show for some on here.I'll be watching.... (-P.Good time to start a new catalog of pictures.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ksnow

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 07:55:34 am »
Definitely staying tuned to this one, as I have a few lemonwood 1x2's in the shop. And hickory strips. Looking forward to the build.

Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 09:15:18 am »
Should be a fun build Pat.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.