Author Topic: high shutter speed images  (Read 6785 times)

Offline aaron

high shutter speed images
« on: December 12, 2017, 05:37:45 pm »
I have a new camera that has shutter speeds up to 1/16000ths. These are stills from 4k video shot at that speed. This may have use in tuning, as it shows the timing of arrow flex. I believe that the shutter is opening on the top first and scanning down leading to the unbalanced look of the string, limbs and fletching.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

Re: high shutter speed images
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 05:44:00 pm »
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 05:49:58 pm »
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 06:02:07 pm »
Useful tool aaron....Good shaft stills....I'm surprised as to the amount of slack in the string.Eye opening to say the least.Goes to prove the initial release sends the arrow off quickly right off the bat.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 06:05:53 pm »
That's interesting!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 06:31:21 pm »
what kind of camera is it? and what is the frame rate possible at that resolution? Pretty good pics, overall, being from a video.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 07:17:01 pm »
1st one is unique.
Some of my bows have felt as though that was going on.    :'(
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 07:21:20 pm »
That's crazy...I thought the bow was breaking.
1’—>1’

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 07:34:48 pm »
Useful tool aaron....Good shaft stills....I'm surprised as to the amount of slack in the string.Eye opening to say the least.Goes to prove the initial release sends the arrow off quickly right off the bat.
I don’t believe the string is slack, rather a scan sequence as he mentioned. The silencer on top shows forward motion and the silencer on bottom seems to show motion stopped and beginning to return. Made for an awesome picture.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 02:45:22 am »
What an interesting blend of the Primitive and the not so Primitive >:D (AT) (AT)
I think if I had a hood can, I could prove a fox that crosses the road in my head lights,
has feet that don't ever touch the ground.  ??? :-\
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 05:50:44 am »
Interesting.  You need to improve your archery skills though.  That first shot almost hit your house  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 08:22:11 am »
   I would like to see that same photo with the camera held sideways. I bet the string would straighten out

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 10:13:37 am »
Very cool, could prove very useful

Offline aaron

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 10:14:23 am »
badger: " I would like to see that same photo with the camera held sideways. I bet the string would straighten out". I took some with the camera upside down to confirm that the unbalanced look was an artifact of shutter movement-but they didn't show the string well, they did show the upper limb "ahead" of the lower limb.

Willie"what kind of camera is it? and what is the frame rate possible at that resolution? Pretty good pics, overall, being from a video."
It's a Panasonic lumix lx100, it can shoot video at the standard rate (30 or 60 fps). If I shoot stills it has a burst setting, but still only 60fps.  Each frame of the video is an 8MP image. Works great for surfing photography.

One reason I was shooting these was to have a look at my release- comparing hand position is=n the frames before and after. This showed that my release is "dead" that is, hand remains still, not moving back as in a "dynamic" release.

Next I want to set it up as a closeup on the arrowshelf, and also try various ways to counteract the shutter illusions.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 10:57:37 am »
That is really interesting. I'm glad you mentioned that it is scanning the picture(I didn't know they worked like that) as I would have thought that a lot of weird stuff was happening. I drew a couple of lines on the picture where I think think you released(top) and where the bow stopped (bottom). In between those lines is like a movie(sort of). If the shutter speed is 1 16,000 of a second does that mean that the time between the two lines is about 1 32,000 of a second? I noticed that the bottom limb looks straight on the inner half. Would that also be from the scanning?