Author Topic: Looking for a small bore plinker  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Bckskin2

Looking for a small bore plinker
« on: December 13, 2017, 06:31:47 am »
I'll turn 70 next month with a lot of physical issues.  My .50 CVA is getting way too heavy so I am looking for a small bore plinker. At one time CVA made a small bore that was similar to my Mountain Rifle. I have not seen one in years. Does anyone make a squirrel gun? I would love a light small bore Fowler. Year ago a friend had a Belgian made one he hunter squirrels with.
May be a .36 or .31 pistol?
Walt

Offline Linc

Re: Looking for a small bore plinker
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 06:55:37 am »
Traditions makes the Crocket. It is a .32cal.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 02:50:00 am »
Check into a .62 cal. (20ga) Trade Gun. ALOT lighter to carry because of the smooth bore barrel and shoot shot  :OK - I'm in the same boat physically and the Trade Gun works for Me - Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 06:29:24 am »
I like my 40 for shooting and its a great small game gun. Light and no kick.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 03:56:43 pm »
You might find that the smaller bores are actually HEAVIER. Often they use the same size octagon stock steel and just bore out less material.  There are smaller sized octagon stock called "A" weight barrels, but even so, the small the bore, the heavier the barrel.  You might consider a .40 in an "A weight" barrel, and then just use lighter loads.

Then to make an even lighter weight gun, consider the swamped barrel. They have a slow taper down 4/5ths of the length and then flare back out at the muzzle.  My Colerain "B" lost 1.8 lbs of steel when it was swamped down from a parallel sided barrel.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.