Author Topic: Fish skins  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Zuma

Fish skins
« on: December 21, 2017, 08:51:29 pm »
I saved the skins from these two Stripers a while back,
I had fleshed them and posted in another thread.
I just got them out of the freezer to de-scale them.
The scales did not just pop off. It took a bit of force
and left the (what could be nice diamonds pretty ragged.)
Nonetheless they are very tough and I assume  would
make good backing or be used for  rawhide purposes.
Any thoughts?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline chamookman

Re: Fish skins
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 04:03:11 am »
I'd try tacking them down, scale side down and give Em' a good scraping, then wipe them down good with Acetone. Allow them to dry and then glue them on a Bow. Should make a good backing - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Fish skins
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 07:12:48 am »
I'd do like Bob said Zuma. They look like they'd make a good camo pattern and work well for backing a bow. I've never used fish skins before and I'm sure there are some tricks to removing the scales. I remember posts in the past but can't remember the tips. I think one of the tips was to use a pliers and pull in a certain direction.  If you don't have a bow to put them on I'm sure you could rehydrate and clean them up good. Pin on a board flesh side up till dry and then flip over and glue or pin to a nice board a hang for art. If I did that I'd probably rehydrate glue on a board and after several days of drying seal with tru oil.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise