Author Topic: Laminate bow design ?  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Laminate bow design ?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 12:13:37 pm »
Ok thanks Im going to try to keep all measurments with in a couple 1/1000 Im just going to build it and see where Im at like Steve & others have said, hopefully not much scraping will be needed belly wise and I will have to accept the draw weight with in a tight range so here are the specs so far
Tri lam Design
Stack 0.4375 (7/16 in)
Hickory. Parallel   0.1775
Osage Parallel. 0.130
Osage Taper 0.130. @0.001 TPI
TTT 66 in
NTN 64.5
WL 26.25
Front view 2 in. To 3/8 in. Pyramid
12 in. Riser 3 in. Fades
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:45:26 pm by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 01:38:22 pm »
Ok thanks let me ask you this if I where to add a lighter mass wood like say maple in the stack under the osage , you dont think it would add performance with a little lighter core ? I relies what was said and appreciate it , Im just trying to maxamise performance on this one ?

Still haven't seen any evidence to say yes or no.  The ones I have made did not seem to perform any better than a simple backed bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 03:34:38 pm »
I split the difference on all 3 opinions and added another lam of osage replacing the bamboo lam with the same dimension that way if I have to scrape ,I'm osage on osage a little more of a margin for error I adjusted it in the recipe posted so it's basically giving me a 0.260 core of osage with a 0.001 TPI belly taper Osage/Hickory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 04:33:42 pm »
   Most anytime I try something new I always consider the first one a prototype. Don't feel bad if the first one doesn't come out exactly right.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 04:40:42 pm »
Thanks Steve I defently considering this a prototype  but I'm only have time this winter to make 2 bows so just trying to stack the odds in my favor I appreciate the help !

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 05:11:18 pm »
What do you  think about putting the  tapered  laminat  in the middle  of the  stack?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 05:29:03 pm »
I thought about that but I'm going to guess if there is scraping to do it's probably is going to be mostly in the lowers and I thought I could control a even tapper better with the tapered lam on the belly but if the tiller is close from the start there is room in the design for side tillering will see ,like Steve said it's a prototype !