Author Topic: Broadhead  (Read 4069 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Broadhead
« on: December 18, 2017, 02:42:25 pm »
Many of you saw my post about bodkins.  The next logical step is to smoosh them suckers flat and make broadheads.  Well, this is the third attempt.  It ain't quiet as easy as just smooshing them flat.  This one isn't finished but close to it.  It's not legal to use, too small, but a good attempt!!! 

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Broadhead
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 03:39:49 pm »
And yet despite all the things you consider faults, I cringe at the thought of getting hit with that sucker! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 04:15:36 pm »
Looks like it might work good as a fish point.  For deer hunting check your states laws regarding barbed points.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 04:22:48 pm »
Legal in AZ.  Got a different design in mind for fish points.   Basically a bodkin with a single barb.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 04:38:17 am »
Very nice first attempt , I feel sure it isn't near as easy as one might think. You know I try to abide by all the rules the state has on hunting but in all the years I have bow hunted well over 40 years I have never been ask to check the weight of my bow/ to see my broad heads or check the feathers on my arrows. They may care but sure don't seem to. Sorry Off subject .  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 05:49:51 am »
I'm with JW. Wouldn't want to get stuck with that either. It wouldn't be legal here. I really don't understand how some of these mechanical broad heads can be that compound and crossbow guy's use.
Pappy I don't ever remember being checked by C.O. in my 56 years until we got a new one. I got checked twice in 6 days and the second time was by a group of them undercover. I was legal both times, but I guess it just shows you never know. I have to admit that even though I was legal and didn't have any violations. The second time when they were undercover I felt like I'd been lied to and they were trying to intrap me even though I was doing everything by the book. The book they never have enough copies of when you buy your license. I'm all for getting the violators and poachers but right now it seems more like their trying to pay some bills. They are making a lot of hunters and fishermen very unhappy with expensive and very questionable charges. Sorry for getting off subject E. Jenson. I really like the looks of the bodkins and those broadheads are going to be deadly.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:07:37 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 10:01:48 am »
That head is wicked awesome.  I know some folks that would love some of those, legal or not, myself included. 

I would think half of that would make a great harpoon (fish head) too!!!!

Russ

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 11:02:37 am »
 Nice looking point, has a fatal air to it!  I think the minimum width here in Colorado is either 7/8" or 1", not sure about point weight, bow has to pull 35#.  That would probably make a real good fishing point!  Keep up the good posts, you do good work.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 12:49:25 pm »
That is a nice rendition of the medieval type of broadhead. Back then the laws were different...  ;)
That type of head also worked against the horses of the knights.
It will match well with your forged bodkins.  :OK

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 12:55:05 pm »
BJ, why isn't that head legal here in Michigan? I know I would sure use it, that thing just looks mean.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 03:13:26 pm »
That head is legal in Florida and I bet will stick a gator and not pull out real easy. The only rule we have here is it has to be 7/8th an inch wide.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 02:09:11 am »
JEB - I'm from Michigan too. Can't use a Broadhead with barbs here - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 05:50:07 am »
Jeb I know if it's stone point it can't have Barbs. It must be at least 7/8" and barbless. I think if I remember correctly that goes for steel point to. I don't understand though how these mechanical broadheads are legal. Jeb I had to look it up online. I think I searched rules for stone point in Michigan to find it.
Bjrogg

E. Jenson. I'm curious as to this points weight? It sure does look like a killer. I like Eddie's idea for gator hunting if the barb would hold up.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 06:15:00 am »
JEB - I'm from Michigan too. Can't use a Broadhead with barbs here - Bob.

Barbed points are legal in Michigan now.  Most states have made that change due to the mechanical points on modern arrows.  The only restrictions are on width like BJ said.  They have to be 7/8" wide.   They removed the barbed restriction in Indiana also.  Zwickey has reintroduced the "Cliff Zwickey" barbed broadhead now that they are legal in more states. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 06:58:50 am »
Wow thanks Clint I didn't know that. Like I said they never have enough rule books when you get your license anymore.
Bjrogg