Author Topic: Handle and tip splice orientation  (Read 1904 times)

Offline willie

Handle and tip splice orientation
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:51:30 pm »
I have a couple of approx 2" dia by 3 ft. staves/billets  that will be spliced to make a bendy handle bow. A "v", "z" or "w" is what I see usually done on handles that do not bend, but are there any examples from historical bows that use a scarf type glue joint, on either handle or tips? I am using scarf to describe a glue joint that has the plane of the glue joint from side to side of the limb.
I cannot help but to think about the belly patches I see with the scarf joint running out on the belly. Why not for the back also? I plan to use a good epoxy for the joint and some sort of additional backing to reinforce a decrowned narrower back.

Offline PatM

Re: Handle and tip splice orientation
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:24:49 pm »
Many old Composite styles used scarf joints in handles and tips.  They were generally wrapped as well though.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 10:32:07 pm »
This might be stating the obvious but have you tried to do a google search for.  Its a lot of fun going through all of the hits you'll get with how-to'S and youtube videos of building mongolian, korean, chinese, persian, turkish...etc. bows they all are constructed with various splices the larger number I have found seem to favour the V splice.

If you were thinking of more of a european type of bow then the Saami ...(maybe its just a Finnish bow) have made one from pine and birch. I beleive there was a bowyer here that made a replica of that.  Following that there are a few Russian bows of similar mention.
I dont know if that helped but I hope it did.  (SH)
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 01:04:56 pm »
Many old Composite styles used scarf joints in handles and tips.  They were generally wrapped as well though.

Pat, any in particular come to mind? Especially concerning handles?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 01:48:08 pm »
I just finished a low-stressed longbow, billets and bending handle (by accident!). The 8:1 v-splice held up just fine but I used a patch on the back and this was a huge mistake. Every time the handle started working it popped the back patch straight off. In the end, after at least four different attempts at fixing things, I used Gorilla yellow glue and linen wraps covering almost the entire patch together with a belly patch to stiffen up the centre.  Just the v-splice would have been plenty strong enough.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 03:13:15 pm »

The Moshcheveya Balka bow had a scarf joint in the handle

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 04:27:42 pm »

The bow mentioned by Aaron as well as  the Scythian bows  .  Keep in mind that bone plates also boxed in  these scarf joints in most cases.

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 05:15:28 pm »
thks, Pat and Aaron

found a nice detail here....
http://www.freebirdarchery.com/images/MB%20Plans%20v2.pdf