Author Topic: The one that almost got away.  (Read 2834 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
The one that almost got away.
« on: December 21, 2017, 06:44:27 am »
Not really sure if this is the right place to post this story. If not please move it.
    Many of you probably know that I made bows and Obsidian point arrows for two people who were determined to hunt with them this year. I told their stories in a post I titled passing it on. I told hunter #1's story but I didn't update hunter #2's story here's an update.
     Hunter #2 has been a real good friend and really become excited about all of this Primitive Stuff. He is a busy man with a busy work schedule but he just plain loves the outdoors and hunting of any kind. I made a bow for him and we worked at bare shafting arrows for it. We got it tuned up good and I knapped him a couple Obsidian points that were legal and the right weight to replace his target points.
      Sometimes back hunter #2 found enough time in his busy schedule to sneak out to the woods. He went to a tree stand he had practiced from and set up special for hunting with his selfbow. As the sun started its climb into the morning sky a doe and fawn came in. He said the doe sniffed his trail where he had walked in. She continued on and then stopped at about 12yards standing quartering away. He drew his bow and she turned and looked at him. He let his arrow go. He said "it was headed right for my spot, but then she jumped away". He heard the wack of the arrow hitting bone and saw it enter in the does hind quarter. The doe ran off and the arrow fell out, he found it minus it's Obsidian point. He was pretty sure this doe wasn't hurt terribly badly and told me he was glad he hadn't shot one in that area with his compound as it would have suffered.
     He never got another shot with his selfbow and he went out with his muzzle loader for meat. He was sure this doe was still around. He called me and told and said he shot a doe and when he skinned her she had a hole where he shot the doe with his selfbow. The hide was healed around the edges and all the meat was good but had a small amount of scar tissue around its edges. When he deboned the hide quarter a piece of Obsidian fell out. He said she was in good shape and wouldn't have know it was the same deer. She had no infection and would have healed completely. He learned a lot from his experience.
      If it wasn't for his muzzle loader this would have been the one that got away. He will be hunting again next year with his selfbow good lord willing. I'm really hoping he's successful next year. It really does show you how challenging this Hunting is. Getting close and doing all the other things it takes to get that shot are challenging in their selves. Getting that full draw and shot off undetected is another challenge.
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: The one that almost got away.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 08:29:40 am »
Good story BJ.I too can atest to deer healing up from foul hits by me seeing them later etc.They are resilient that's for sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 06:34:49 am »
Good story BJ, yep I have done the same more than once, shoot them in early fall and then kill them in late winter only to fine a head and usually some of my wood shaft still with them, no worse for wear. Hole healed up and maybe some grizzle around the head and shaft.They are tough. Usually not the same out come when gun shot. :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 05:07:16 pm »
very interesting,, thanks for sharing,,

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 09:56:15 am »
Thanks for the replies Ed, Pappy and Brad. I know this subject tends to make some people possibly even myself a bit uncomfortable. It is however and always has been a part of hunting. Weather it's a primitive bow, a rifle or a cougar there's always going to be the ones that get away. I've watched a hawk grab a rabbit in its talons four time and try to finish it off only to watch it get away. Pretty sure that didn't feel very good but the rabbit wasn't diner that day.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 11:43:51 am »
Great story BJ! I have seen this first hand as well. Years ago I shot one through and through with my wheel bow on opening day,  back then it was October 1st.  Never did find it even after 3 days off looking,  he was a huge 8 point.  Later that same year on Christmas eve I had a huge buck come into the same stand right at last light.  I ended up spine shooting him and had to shoot him a second time.  When I got him home I noticed a scar on his side,  there was a matching one on the other.  There was a crooked rib as well.  From what I could tell I shot him too high and right over his lungs on opening day.  They are for sure some of the toughest animals on the planet. (SH) :-D

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!