Author Topic: self nock ?  (Read 10221 times)

keekeerun

self nock ?
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:13:32 pm »
how deep do you guys make your self nocks.  I just made one in my multiflora rose shoot about 5/16 inches deep it fits the string nice, I figured any deeper and the chances of spliting are greater. What you all think?  Oh i did wrap it with sinew

Offline Strongbow88

Re: self nock ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 02:25:05 pm »
I make mine 3/8 deep some people go as far as 1/2
Danny Johnson

keekeerun

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 02:34:44 pm »
thanks, I'll go a tad bit deeper

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 02:40:28 pm »
Long as it grips the string,I reackon it is deep enough.I just measured mine.3/8 inch deep (Must be about right) I do make them where they grip the string though,just like the plastic nocks.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 02:43:06 pm »
i dont make mine very deep just as long as it stays on the string and i use a bandsaw to cut mine >:D  i used to do it more primitive but the bandsaw is so much easier
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 02:49:07 pm »
Most of my self nocks are about 1/2" deep and most are loose fitting on the string. I  have gotten to prefer loose fitting nocks to eliminate any resistance as the arrow pulls off the string.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 07:20:49 pm »
I'm with Pat B on this only because I cut mine 1/2 inch deep like Pat. I also line mine with 1/64 plywood for some added strength. I also wrap the nock end with artificial sinew. Its mainly because my bows range from 62# to 70#.

Dick

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 08:21:52 pm »
Usually 3/8". I've made them deeper and shallower, but 3/8" is a good happy medium. As long as they stay on your string and fly good, that's all that matters.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 08:38:08 pm »
3/8 " deep and loose fittin...bob

Offline lowell

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 09:37:38 pm »
I kind of make mine grip the string. Would say mine are in the 3/8" area!!

Can the people that like loose fitting nocks tell what they feel the advantage is by making them loose fitting??? ???
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

keekeerun

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 10:11:16 pm »
mine come out to 5/16, I stopped there  Hopefully I'll have pictures of my very first primitive arrow tommorow    thanks again

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 11:02:04 pm »
Like Pat said about loose fittin'. Also up until about 20+ years ago even plastic nocks were loose fittin' called the mercury nocks I  believe........bob

wvfknapper

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 11:29:51 pm »
I like mine about 5/16 deep,, cut in with a small chainsaw file and loose fitting so there is no drag on the string upon release,, I use a bigger string nock locater on the string because I shoot three fingers under, never could shoot split finger for some reason even when I shot a training wheel bow.

wvflintknapper

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 01:46:25 am »
Your weird Robert......... 3 under on a Compound or a Primitive........:o    8)

My Nocks are a 1/2 inch deep...and have barely any resistance on the String....just enough to keep it on the String ...if you lean the Bow foward....I cut mine in with a Bandsaw...and widen them a touch with a 6p Finish Nail with emery cloth on it...till they fit the way I like them
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 02:14:36 am »
I like a loose fit for ease of stringing the arrow and no drag on release. When hunting I hold the arrow at the nock point with my right hand on the string or at the bow with my left hand. If you will notice on historical primitive arrows the arrow nock was usually shallow and with a loose fit. Deep nocks and snap fits are recent innovations. I prefer a deep nock for safety reasons...to help prevents me from dry firing.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC