Author Topic: self nock ?  (Read 10223 times)

daniel

Re: self nock ?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 11:22:53 am »
"If you will notice on historical primitive arrows the arrow nock was usually shallow and with a loose fit"
"snap fits are recent innovations"

desagree Pat B; Turkish, Tartar, Indian, Chinesse arrows, all have snap type nocks;

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 11:27:54 am »
Used to make mine shallow but have come to prefer 1/2" deep and a snug fit.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 11:47:01 am »
Daniel, I think Pat was referring to Native American arrows. Many of those had shallow, loose nocks because they were shaot with a pinch grip-the bow was drawn by pulling on the arrow as much as the string so there's little chance of it slipping off.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 12:27:43 pm »
Danial, I stand corrected! But like Hillbilly said I was referring to NA archery. Most everything in archery today from snap nocks to overdraws to compound bows came from ancient cultures. There are very few new ideas today. Its all been done before. ;D
  I still prefer a deeper, loose fitting nock. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 10:54:11 pm »
Mine fit snugly enough t stay on but yet drop off with a slight tap. Mine are 3/8 in deep. For consistency I wrapped some masking tape at that distance around a finished nail and use it as a gauge.  More info on my site. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

keekeerun

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 11:34:43 pm »
thanks again for all the info guys.  I shot my rose shoot today for the first time, it was a little stiff so I sanded the center and now it shoots where I look. I should be set up soon to send some pictures. JAWGE I'll send ya one to. Its so neat to make your own arrow and stone point, and have them shoot good.