Author Topic: Early Plains Flintlock Rifle build  (Read 16381 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Early Plains Flintlock Rifle build
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 05:23:34 pm »
Did my first barrel dovetail by hand today. Tolerances are measured by thousands of an inch so I was a little nervous because if I messed this step up it could trash the barrel. But it worked great. Next up is installing the rear sight.

Gordon

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 07:59:28 am »
First off.Nice work on a nice gun.Ought to be a beautiful dependable gun for yourself.I replaced my front sight blade with that thin silver blade too on a barrel opposed to the wide coarse thick front blade.I think it's more accurate to be pin pointing your shot.

I shoot a .54 too.A capper though and traditional.A Johnathon Browning Hawken.Rather boring walnut stock on it but still a deer slayer for sure.I put a 35" barrel on it though opposed to the 30" that came with it and glad I did.I think it's more accurate yet myself.Pretty sure it was a badger barrel from out of Montana.Could be wrong though.I've had the gun for close to 40 years.....lol.Seems you get a good shooting barrel you better hang on to it....lol.
Those 225 grain .52 call rounds are plenty to put em down.Thanks for sharing yours.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 12:24:57 pm »
That's a beautiful rifle and kit, Gordon.  I had done the equivalent Lyman kit...but it's nothing like that. 

There is a track of the wolf kit in my future...

Beautiful work.
1’—>1’

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 02:07:26 pm »
Your dovetail is pretty deep, no problem if you have a thick barrel which you have. Most dovetails are .050 and less. One thing to remember; after you cut your dovetail always file on your sight or lug to make it fit, never widen your dovetail as you can get it too wide in a heartbeat. I always keep spare sight and underlugs just in case I file one to a loose fit.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 07:11:37 pm »
Eric, in retrospect I agree that the dovetail is pretty deep. This sight came with the kit so I didn't think about that when I started cutting. When folks on another forum starting pointing out the same thing I went back and did some measurements and I think I'm okay as this is a rather thick walled barrel. I could have reduced the thickness of the sight base with a file, or separately ordered a sight with a thinner base but that is the kind of thing that can happen when you don't know better. I think your suggestion of filing the sight base to fit is a good one. I did not think of that but I went really slow and got it to fit nice and snug the first time - beginners luck I think, but I'll take it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:17:29 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 11:58:35 pm »
That is looking very good!  A fine rifle,  Congratulations!  When you get to he range, remember it may take quite a few shots to settle in and find it's groove!  Keep yer powder dry and yer flints sharp!

Mike,
I think you would like the .58 in a flintlock.  It packs a wallop with a round ball on top of 120 gr 2F!  It is also fun with a 30-35 gr target load, it does use a lot of lead, though >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 12:34:40 pm »
I did not think of that but I went really slow and got it to fit nice and snug the first time - beginners luck I think, but I'll take it.

Considering the meticulous craftsmanship you have exhibited for years, I am less than convinced this was luck.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 01:00:00 pm »
Cut the dovetail and installed the rear sight. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2018, 01:11:38 pm »
I finished the rifle. Tomorrow I will shoot it for the first time and begin the process of sighting it in. I hope you enjoy the photos.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:25:00 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 02:46:57 pm »
Very nice Gordon. Looking forward to the hero shot with your quarry.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 03:23:00 pm »
Thank you Pat!
Gordon

Offline chamookman

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 02:23:14 am »
Well done Sir  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 08:09:14 am »
Nice, very good inletting especially the butt plate, butt plates give me fits.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2018, 11:46:46 am »
Nice job.  :OK
That turned out very well, can't wait to see how well it shoots.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2018, 03:35:13 pm »
Eric I agree, inletting the butt plate is a b*tch. The first gun I did it on I ended up with a mess. This time I took it slow and easy and was pretty happy with the end result.

I took the gun to the range this morning for it's inauguration and... it shoots! Ignition is fast and sure, and the rifle groups nicely at various powder charges. Next up I will sight the rifle in.
Gordon