Author Topic: Stack cake  (Read 6141 times)

Offline Loope

Stack cake
« on: December 24, 2017, 09:29:17 pm »
For Christmas this year, we tried to make things easier on Mom.  So I offered to make the apple stack cake.  This is the first year I have tried making one.  While discussing who is bringing which foods, my brother suggested that lemon curd would go great in stack cake.  I figured while making an apple stack cake that I have never tried making, why not also make a lemon curd stack cake that I have never tried making, which required making lemon curd that I have never tried making...

Success!  With some leftover cake batter (more like cookie dough), I made some miniature single serving cakes and they were great.  The real ones go to Mom and Dad's for Christmas tomorrow.

For those of you who have never had apple stack cake, it is a fabulous Appalachian tradition.  Other types of cake are a mere shadow in the delicious glory of apple stack cake!

Offline chamookman

Re: Stack cake
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 02:32:32 am »
Whoa  (A) - do those look GOOD ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 11:47:43 am »
That looks real good!  How about posting the recipe?  Love those traditional recipes!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Loope

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 06:34:54 pm »
The apple stack cake was handed down from my Mamaw.  The lemon curd part was just an idea to put a new spin on things.  I just found some recipes online and tweaked a little and increased to have enough for a cake.

Stack cake:  the batter is really more like cookie dough than cake batter and it is baked like large cookies.
   3 eggs
   2/3 cup butter (Mamaw used shortening, mom uses butter)
   1 1/2 cup sugar

Offline Loope

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 07:02:37 pm »
oops, accidently hit tab and it posted...

Stack cake
   3 eggs
   2/3 cup butter (or shortening)
   1 1/2 cup sugar
   1 tsp vanilla
   3 1/2 cups self rising flour

Blend butter and sugar until smooth.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix together.  Add flour and mix until it is uniform, and should be like cookie dough.

Chill the dough to make it easier to handle.  Divide dough into 6 even balls and keep refrigerated until ready to cook.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Roll one dough ball out onto a floured surface into a round disk, about 8 inch diameter.  Add flour to the surface as needed to keep it from sticking.  We buttered and floured a cookie sheet, and then tranferred the 8 inch disk to the cookie sheet.  You can roll the dough onto a rolling pin to help pick it up.  Cook the cake for about 12 minutes at 350.  Remove cake from oven and put onto a cooling rack.  Allow it to cool a little, then start stacking on a cake plate with a layer of cooked apples.  Repeat until you have 6 layers finished.

For the apple filling, I used about  1 1/2 quarts of dried apples.  Add about 1 1/2 quarts of water, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp mace, 1 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup molasses.  Bring to a boil and simmer until apples are softened.  Simmer until they are no longer runny/watery, but still very moist.  Use a potato masher to get the consistency you want.  Allow the apple filling to cool somewhat before layering onto the cake.

Now the hard part... wait until the next day before you eat the cake.  The moisture from the apples will soak into the cake layers and soften them. 

The lemon curd was nothing special, I found some recipes online, and tweaked them a little.  Here is what I did:
   6 eggs
   2 cups sugar
   4 lemons
   1/2 cup butter.

Zest or peel the lemons and squeeze the juice.  In a large saucepan, wisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice over medium heat until mixed.  Add the lemon zest/peels and butter.  Continue wisking while heating for about 10 minutes, until bubbles start to form.  Pour the hot lemon curd through a sieve into a bowl to remove any lemon zest, seeds, and pulp.  Chill in a refrigerator.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 02:46:00 am »
It’s a pancake sized cookie, how could it not be good? >:D

Offline khperkins

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 05:12:57 am »
Looks yummy. Jut one question. Where do the apples come in the apple stack cake?

Offline Loope

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:10:02 pm »
I made the apple filling using dried apples.

Bake a layer of cake and place on a plate.  Spread some apple filling on top of the cake layer.  Bake another layer, add more apple filling on top, repeat until all cake is used up.

You can put filling on top of the last layer, but I left it off the top layer because that is how my Mom makes it.

Michael

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 07:38:14 am »
I will be trying this one. It looks mouth watering. Thanks for taking the time to type it out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.