Author Topic: broadheads... MA-3?  (Read 14734 times)

Offline huntertrapper

broadheads... MA-3?
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:37:38 pm »
i have some trade points but my arrrows arent spined right and i need to buy broadheads tp put on good spined arrows. also turkey will be here soon an i need to be ready. anyone ever shoot MA-3 broadheads from 3rivers. any sugg. on good broadheads? and what to glue them on, what kind of glue?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: broadheads... MA-3?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 02:54:02 pm »
For glue ons I prefer the Wensel Woodsman or Grizleys. Any glue on, fixed blade broadhead will work OK on turkeys as long as you do your part. I think a 3 blade will give you a bigger,better hole. I usually use the amber archery glue sticks for points but any glue should work fine.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 03:01:43 pm »
 I used to use five minute epoxy with metal heads and do the whole bunch all at once.seemed to work good.never had any come loose.(Doing stone heads now)Only shot a couple of turkeys with arrows,used the same arrows I used for deer.(2-blade magnus) Good luck !   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 03:27:52 pm »
hey thanks guys, magnus is one i might consider good broadheads. i know mike hutson uses them and if some of you guys do then i think ill use em. thanks guys.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 03:30:13 pm »
I would recommend a 2-blade head.  If you hit a turkey in the wing butt, sometimes it's hard to get the kind of penitration you need with a 3 or 4 blade head.  For head on or up the bung hole shots anything will do, but the thick base of them big wing feathers is tough.  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 12:27:52 am »
okay sounds good, i figured to go with a two blade anyway. thanks.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 12:52:44 am »
Wolverines by Grizzly are better than 2 blade MA's IMO. Think they are 140 grain and like said 2 blade. Wing shots are tough on putt-putts its a tough place ta penetrate as also said........bob

wvfknapper

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 01:28:26 am »
I like the zwicky 2 blade and use hot melt glue so I can change the tips if needed,,, The MA-3 is a mild steel head and don't really hold an edge that well,, just my experience.

wvflintknapper

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 01:45:48 pm »
i am gonna buy the hot melt glue iv seen it used before sounds tough and i dont want to lose my broadheads in my target. ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 01:50:06 pm »
Hot melt may er not work.Use epoxy (gasp ! ) if ya wanna be sure.........bob

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 01:54:30 pm »
hot Melts are fine and good...but I have lost a few because of bad cohesion....so I am with Bob....use a good two part epoxy....and be done with it
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 01:58:37 pm »
I prefer hot melt(the archery stuff) so I can adjust if the point becomes untrue. I know epoxy will soften with heat but will it be as strong after heating?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 02:31:34 pm »
I use the two bladed magnus heads really like them,and the ferrral tite by bohning glue stick never had a problem and can change heads whenever I want
                                                        Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 05:17:02 pm »
  I like Grizzlies and Wensels. I also use hotmelt glue sticks. But I buy them out of Woodworking Cataloge, it seems to be better. I like to be able to remove them for 3-D shoots.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 05:38:05 pm »
i like the magnus 2 blade. right after i attach the heads i go and shoot them into my fence. this will bend the tips a lil bit then i resharpen them. that way the tips are a lil less pointed and less likely to bend if they hit bone.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter