Author Topic: 6 point  (Read 562 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

6 point
« on: December 25, 2017, 05:05:20 pm »
I went to my sister-in-law's for Christmas dinner today. After the meal i thought " I am only 10 miles or so from the land I hunt in Tn, might as well motor on up there and get a couple of hours of hunting in". I keep all my stuff in my truck, just in case.

I was on a high ridge in a log blind watching a saddle the deer cross. This six point tried to cross the saddle but my .54 flinter interrupted his plans.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: 6 point
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 05:09:37 pm »
Very nice Eric. Congratulations nice Christmas Present
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 05:24:04 pm »
Congratulations! Nice buck and even nicer looking rifle.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 07:21:21 pm »
Flintlocks grab you just like selfbows do.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 07:10:41 am »
A couple more pictures;

At 70 years old and having been ridden hard and put up wet (broke my back twice), handling a deer is a chore for me. The best money I ever spent on hunting as I got older was my $88 delivered free deer hoist from Amazon, they are $99 now. I have an F250 pick-up and absolutely can't get a deer in the bed by myself.

Close up of the buck;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 09:15:40 am »
Nice hunt and a neat lift!  I have noticed that the the deer seem to have doubled their weight here lately!  One of my buddies has a winch rigged on a rack in his pickup, about a a size below "monster",
He said it is stout enough to drag a big elk!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 02:16:39 pm »
 Todays hunt;

Last day for bucks in Tn, it is does only until the season closes next Friday. I gave it one more try this morning, it was 18 degrees but I have my clothes layering system in place to stay warm.

I hunted a new blind for the first time but no deer showed up. The new blind is the one with a chair, I like to be comfortable on long sits. The other blind is one I threw up in a hurry that has future possibilities. Both blinds are positioned to watch trails to and from a soybean field.

I stayed in my blind until 11:00, then walked back toward my truck slowly checking out the grown up fields on my way. I topped one hill and several bedded deer got up right in front of me and ran off, no shot opportunity.

I looked across the small hollow and saw antlers sticking out of the sage grass, huge antlers. The buck was bedded about 80 yards away on the hill side. With all the commotion of the deer running off he stood up, without a doubt the biggest buck I have seen on the property. Not too wide but very, very tall antlers, at least 18", long tines and heavy mass. I could check him out well with my binoculars.

80 yards with a 15 mph cross wind, I was next to a big bushy cedar tree and had nothing to prop my 42" barreled gun on for a shot. A 15 mph cross wind can move the point of impact of my .54 ball 7 to 9 inches to the right, I am a lousy off hand shot, I haven't shot my gun past 50 yards and don't know how much bullet drop I would have at 80 yards. Common sense prevailed and I let him go.

I tried to take a picture of him but when I turned my camera on it did a typical wherr, click start-up. The buck heard the noise and skipped off, turned out he had three lady friends with him.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:21:00 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 04:00:03 pm »
I'm right there with ya Eric.........................great story!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 03:22:09 am »
Nice deer Eric and good story. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good