Author Topic: wet scrape deer hide?  (Read 6168 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: wet scrape deer hide?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 01:12:52 am »
While we are on the topic - has any one experienced freezer burn on a hide that was detrimental?  Also, I got about 6 pronghorn hides to soak, flesh, diehair, and  brain tan, but I lost my round tuit!  Hope I can find it soon!  Got to get another barrel to soak the hides, though.  I use garden lime as my lye source, seems to be milder, washes out better, and then throw them into a front loading commercial washing machine with the old running shoes.  2 cycles throughout the tumbler and they are ready for the braining, and almost pre staked! 
Hawkdancer

Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 08:14:45 am »
Hawk, the best part about lime is that it will not get to strong no matter how much you use, the part I didn't like was how slippery hides get and the white residue on everything, a friend of mine uses the washing machine like you do to rinse and swears by it, I just can't convince the wife yet :o As far as freezer burn I am thinking longer to rehydrate as the only draw back, Just my .02 worth on it. Bob

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 11:50:44 am »
I take them to a commercial laundromat for the washing part!  No mess at home that way, or at least minimal out in the yard.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 07:50:53 pm »
I take them to a commercial laundromat for the washing part!  No mess at home that way, or at least minimal out in the yard.
Hawkdancer

I bet you get some looks when you do that Hawkdancer.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 11:27:37 pm »
I do try to be incognito, but dumping the bag of running shoes does get noticed now and then >:D >:D!  I usually don't wear my leggings and breechcloth, though, that might attract attention!
Hawkdancer
Jerry