Author Topic: Third yew bow, not sure if that means its a charm lol  (Read 7161 times)

Offline NorthHeart

Re: Third yew bow, not sure if that means its a charm lol
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 01:03:17 pm »
Thanks DC, i got a bit carried away and didnt realize till i took that pic where i was at.  So my thought process should be to keep removing material until the limbs bend evenly, reach brace, and never so over 55#?  I guess my fear is that thats a lot of material to remove in order to do that.  If i make a mistake in the removal of wood will i be able to correct it by then.  I suppose this is the live and learn part.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 02:33:02 pm »
Remove a bit, put it back on the tree, repeat. Sometimes you'll think that you're going to wear a path in the concrete back and forth. I use a fine rasp just to put marks on the stave and then use a scraper to take off the marks then back to the tree to check how you're doing. Stop often, go read PA and then go back to it.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 10:25:50 pm »
Thanks man.  The way you you worded that was exactly how i needed to hear it ;)

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 09:01:43 pm »
Got it to 4.5" brace and pulled it to 16".  One thing thats throwing me off is that the limb with the hump required way more thinning to get it to bend similar to the straight one.  On the outer third its less than 1/2" thick, where as the straight limb is well over 1/2".  Do yall pay any attention to thickness or just do what ever is necessary to make the bend do what you wish?

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 10:25:06 pm »
Is the width the same at 6" intervals along the limbs?

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 11:21:42 am »
DC-on the straight limb yes, on the limb in question the thickness about the same on the inner third, but just after the humpis when it reduces down pretty thin for about 6" until it runs into the stiff tip.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 11:49:17 am »
Width, not thickness.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 08:21:26 pm »
I should really learn to read more closely.  Yes its pretty much parallel from the fades till about 6" from the tip.  There is a very slight taper throughout the limb but barely noticeable.

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 11:07:10 pm »
Now, do they match each other? What I'm getting at is if one limb is narrower it will bend more. Is the limb with the hump wider anywhere?

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 01:19:21 pm »
Width wise both limbs are almost identical.  Short of checking it with a micrometer, but visually they appear the same.

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 02:06:58 pm »
OK, just had to check that. I did that once, forgot to check the width and ended up with one thin limb and one thick one. Sometimes wood is denser in one limb and you do end up like you. As long as they are bending evenly, that's what you're after.

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 02:11:11 pm »
When you're saying kink are you talking about the little thing mid limb or the bigger one at the fade. Both are on the left limb.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 08:20:51 pm »
Good question.  I am referring to that little hump mid limb.  Though that raised up area near the fade is bugging me too, making it hard to determine if its bending evenly considering it starts out forward (higher) on the tree. 

Also there is some twist in the limb in question, and when viewed from above with the bow sitting on its belly (unbraced) it leans the wrong direction, as in back towards the direction of the other limb, if thats not too confusing.  I could elect to heat the handle and try to add pressure from the side but am afraid i might possibly scorch the rawhide and glue near the handle area, so im thinking of just letting it go and see what happens.  Once its braced it doesnt seem as bad and the string isnt actually that far off from the center of the handle.

Thanks for helping DC, looks like its just you and me on this on HAHA!

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 10:02:47 pm »
It looks like the little mid limb lump is just a wiggle in the grain. As long as there is no knot I would just treat it as part of the limb. Don't leave it stiffer there, keep the thickness taper constant along the limb. Maybe squint a little to almost try to ignore it. The left limb looks a little stiff so take 5 or 6 scrapes put it back on the tree. Try to get it looking like the right limb.The big lump at the fade is going to mess with your eyes a bit.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 10:47:57 am »
Took more wood off the left limb and especially in the wave at the center of the limb.  Got her back to 17" with only a 4.5" brace.  Still taking more set, maybe i shoulda removed more off the outter part of that right limb sooner?  We will see if i can make anything decent outta this one.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:51:40 am by 240m3srt »