Author Topic: Luke Cord's massive overshot spread  (Read 1715 times)

AncientTech

Luke Cord's massive overshot spread
« on: December 27, 2017, 10:46:34 pm »
I tutored this dude over the internet a bit on the Cushing method.  It must have clicked.  He pulled a full blown bazooka overshot.  Stone, Deer horn, leather, and the secret of the indians!  Nothing more.

Check it out.  Get ready to forget everything you ever learned about overshot. 

Offline 1442

Re: Luke Cord's massive overshot spread
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 01:31:40 am »
Yay!
I see the biface now.
He did better than you normally do actually.
Good teaching I guess but I aint trading in my knowledge and learnings for it.
I like actual finished points more than single flake removals even if it is a overshot flake done with the Cushing method.

AncientTech

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 05:49:04 am »
Cushing recorded this from indian life.  Let's have an elementary discussion.  If you make finished points, you must chip stone.  And, if you chip stone you must use a technology.  And, if you use a technology, it must have come from somewhere.  This technology which actually can probably be used to make over a half a dozen kinds of flaking - including this flaking - came from the indians. 

When people go to work, they want to get paid real money at the end of the job.  If the employer pulled out two forms of money at the end of the week - real cash, and Monopoly money - which would you choose?

Offline 1442

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 01:47:58 am »
I wouldn't have to choose because monopoly money only works in monopoly and if I was being paid by an employer for working, I wouldn't be playing monopoly or any other game because I would have been working.

Is that elementary enough?

Here you call it a technology and on another thread you say it is not a technology.
I'm sure the technology can be used to produce all the different types of flakes and I don't doubt that Indians used it.
They used it to produce points and blades and all sorts of tools that where a certain shape and size.
Each piece they produced required multiple flake removals and each flake removal had it's own requirements for its removal that had to be met and after all the flakes had been taken in order there would be a finished product.

All this elementary stuff makes me sleepy though, and I don't think you're listening anyway so I'm just gonna spend some time reading Cushings writings and see for myself what he wrote. It sounds really interesting and I will surely want to try it, once I've read about it and got some insight into it, and maybe I can be more helpful

Rock on.