Author Topic: Trail cam  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Trail cam
« on: December 28, 2017, 10:30:48 am »
I have a Stealth Cam STC P-12 and it only works sometimes. I've changed batteries, changed SD card and reformatted SD card. Sometimes I get lots of pics, sometimes nothing. Any suggestions?  Also can someone recommend a relatively inexpensive trail cam that seems to have less problems and is simple to use.
 I've had a few brands. All seem to work well at first but sooner or later something screws up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Trail cam
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 12:13:59 pm »
I had a Stealth that started out OK but got where it wouldn't trigger most of the time. I bought a Browning for about $100 that has been working flawlessly so far this year. I don't keep it out all the time so I may not have run it through its paces yet. It triggers on stuff up to 40 yards away.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 12:35:19 pm »
Sounds like a problem with the motion sensor to me, maybe try cleaning it off with an alcohol wipe.
Trevor

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 03:27:36 pm »
Trevor, it is too inconsistent to be the sensor.IMO. From reading what others on line have said the SD cards are a real problem but some of these folks have replaced and reformatted the cards with no relief.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 03:33:20 pm »
I bought a new stealth cam this fall and I'm not very happy with it.  It doesn't take many pictures and they aren't as clear as they should be.  I had a Moultrie running year round for 4+ years and it worked great until the strap rotted away and it laid on the wet ground for several weeks.  The battery compartment was soaked.  I am going to get a Browning and give that a try.  I have done a lot of research on them and they have great reviews. 

I'd say go with Moultrie or Browning.  They will be similar price and quality.  Go with the fastest trigger speed and highest mega pixel in your price range Pat.  Look up some reviews online and see what kind of ratings they get. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 09:35:48 pm »
I have a "Wildgame" camera that has worked pretty well for a few years, about 5 months per year and a Browning that I have used one year for about 5 months. This season I have had too many distractions to put up and tend any cameras, but during previous years I have gotten good service from both these cameras. I have also had other trail cameras going back to the days of actual film, and some of them worked pretty well and some not well. The main problems I have had has been cards quitting, sensors not working properly (usually sensing a different field size than the pictures included) and batteries dying without giving me a notice. It's especially bad when the battery meter says there is a 30% charge, and takes no pictures till the batteries are changed. The Browning has not done any of that, and the Wildgame camera has only let me down on battery charge readings.

WA

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 04:52:34 am »
I picked up 3 Primos Bullet Proof cameras..  They are small and simple to use.  They have an off, on and movie switch. You have to program the SD card in your computer for date and time but I don't worry about that as I check and clear the cards everyday.  They take only 4 AA batteries and they seem to last a good while.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:19:12 am by JEB »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 06:37:48 am »
I have two wildgame innovations cameras that my kids got me for Christmas several years ago. They work fair but I've had trouble with both of them after they were a couple years old. Luckily I still had box and daughter in law had credit card receipts. I emailed wildgame and they gave me a return to manufacturer number. I sent the broken ones in and they sent me new ones back. They weren't exactly the same model. In fact the second time I sent one in they replaced it with a pretty cheap looking model. I tried it and was less than satisfied. I emailed them back and explained the situation. The person who was handling it didn't understand why they sent me that model. I returned it and they sent me a model more comparable to my original. I did have to pay the return shipping for all of the cameras I sent in. I think there are probably better cameras but I was happy with their service. Probably wouldn't have been without the box and reciept.
Bjrogg
PS about the same time my kids gave me the first wildgame. My brother and dad bought a few Cuddie backs. My brother told me the wildgame were cheap camera. I think they had three or four cameras between them. They all quit. They could send them back for repair for $100 apiece. I think all of them had the pins in the card reader slot broken. They wouldn't sell the card reader slot and my brother just bought different company's cameras. He has two Moultrie now but they were pretty pricey for me. They do seem to be nice cameras though. Better than mine.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:41:16 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 08:06:40 am »
I doubt it's the actual SD card since you've replaced it. Could be making a bad connection, if you put the card into a computer are you seeing corrupt files? Something that might be a factor is the temperature, A friend of mine recently had issues with some electronics and it was because of the recent cold snap we've had.
Trevor

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 08:52:52 am »
Pat, Browning makes a camera under $75. My kid has had it for 3 years and its flawless. The batteries last forever and it take great color pics. Its as easy as turning it on, closing it up and getting out of the way within 30 seconds. I put it out Dec 2nd to find out if a deer I had wounded was still around and what he looked like, health wise.  By Dec 27th I had 181 pics on it and only a few were void of a critter.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 10:10:29 am »
JEB sent me a new Primos Bullet Proof 2, about as simple as you can get. Haven't had time to set it up and out yet but maybe today.
 Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 10:18:23 am »
JEB sent me a new Primos Bullet Proof 2, about as simple as you can get. Haven't had time to set it up and out yet but maybe today.
 Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Pat one thing I like to do is just set mine up in the house or shop and see how  they work there. It kinda gives me a idea how quick or slow they are. How far away they trigger from and I can fine tune settings before I put them out. It's actually helped me figure out where to place them a quite a bit.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 11:01:43 am »
Thanks for the info, BJ. I'll set it up in the house and see if we have any monkeys sneaking around.   ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 01:36:16 pm »
You might capture a bearded sasquatch Pat  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 06:20:26 am »
Hi Pat. I don't know how you are using a game cam in this weather. You have to be shooting over their heads with the camera having to be above snow level. We have not had this kinda weather round here in a while. I like the Moultrie A series cameras. I have an old A-5 and a newer A series. I got the new one because the old one quit taking night pics. After it was stored away in the house for a while it dried out and started working again. I think moisture is the main enemy of these things. I keep them out all year long and change cards daily sometimes. I usually run one year round at the house. I would say take extra precaution during wet weather change outs and if you feel it has been compromised with moisture bring it inside to dry out before using it again. When I don't have them out hunting I plan to alternate mine at the house making sure I watch for moisture and giving them a dry out period after a storm or anytime I think moisture may have been introduce during a card change out.